Calculating Longest Projectile Distance from Rotating Disk | Projectile Motion

In summary: The downward acceleration will cause the material to move downward in a straight line. The distance the material will travel will be the length of the radius of the circular path that it follows.
elmariachi
Hi all,
the problem i have is that there is a rotating disk with nozzles on its circumference. a material is being pushed into this rotating disk/plate and its being released from the nozzles. The disk is rotating with a certain rpm. I want to know, how can I find the longest horizontal distance , the material will travel just after leaving the disk. I believe that the particle from the disk will follow a circular path in the direction of the rotating disk. How big a circular path will it take ( diameter).I will appreciate the help.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm understanding this problem correctly, basically you have a rotating disc with a set angular velocity, and then your pushing something into it and a 'nozzle' is pushing off the disc. If so then the 'thing' is going to move off tangential to the circle where it leaves, the speed of the object will be about w*r, then from that your creating a projectile motion question where your initial velocity in the x direction is w*r and your inital velocity in the y is 0, hopefully you'll be given S, and the rest should fall into place.

If I understand your question correctly.

elmariachi said:
Hi all,
the problem i have is that there is a rotating disk with nozzles on its circumference. a material is being pushed into this rotating disk/plate and its being released from the nozzles. The disk is rotating with a certain rpm. I want to know, how can I find the longest horizontal distance , the material will travel just after leaving the disk. I believe that the particle from the disk will follow a circular path in the direction of the rotating disk. How big a circular path will it take ( diameter).I will appreciate the help.

thanks
Lee gave you the key to the problem. The velocity of the material is equal to the angular velocity times the radius.

There's a few other things to consider, though.

Conceptually, you're off on what you're expecting. Each bit of material travels in a straight line tangential to the disk. Assuming each bit of material travels the same distance, you will end up with a circular pattern, since the nozzle has moved between one bit of material being released and the next. The fact that the material is moving tangent to the disk (instead of directly outward) makes a difference.

Your angular velocity has to be in radians per second. You have revolutions per minute (rpm). You need to convert your rpm to radians per second. One radian is equal to the length of the radius laid along the circumference. If you know how to find the circumference of a circle, you can convert from rpm to rad/sec.

You need to know how high your disk is above the ground. The material will travel at a constant horizontal speed. It will also undergo downward acceleration due to gravity.

Related to Calculating Longest Projectile Distance from Rotating Disk | Projectile Motion

1. What is rotary projectile motion?

Rotary projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is projected with an initial velocity and rotates or spins around an axis while in motion. This type of motion is often seen in sports such as baseball, tennis, and cricket.

2. What are the factors that affect rotary projectile motion?

The factors that affect rotary projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of projection, the air resistance, and the mass and shape of the object being projected. These factors can impact the path and distance of the object's motion.

3. How is the trajectory of a rotary projectile determined?

The trajectory of a rotary projectile is determined by the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the forces acting on the object. These forces include gravity, air resistance, and any external forces such as wind or spin applied to the object.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotary projectile motion?

The main difference between linear and rotary projectile motion is the path of the object. In linear motion, the object follows a straight path, while in rotary motion, the object follows a curved path due to the rotational motion around an axis.

5. How is rotary projectile motion used in real-life applications?

Rotary projectile motion is used in various real-life applications, such as in sports, military weapons, and amusement park rides. Understanding the principles of rotary projectile motion can also help engineers design and optimize the trajectory of rockets and spacecrafts for space exploration.