Calculating magnetic field to accelerate deutrons in a cyclotron

In summary: So please continue to do so. Just don't expect PF to do the thinking for you. We're here to help you with ideas, hints and suggestions.
sudipmaity

Homework Statement

A cyclotron has oscillator frequency of 12×10^6 cycles /sec and dee radius 21 inches .Calculate the magnetic induction B needed to accelerate deutrons .
Given e=1.6 ×10^-19 coulomb and M (21H )=3.3×10^-27 kg.

Homework Equations

Frequency f= Bq/2πΜ

The Attempt at a Solution

Β=(2π×3.3 ×10^ -27 ×12 ×10^6)/1.6×10^ -19 = 1.55Wb/m2.
Have i done this right? Why did they give me the dee radius if didn't need it?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps there was a part b) where they asked about the maximum speed the cyclotron can give the deuterons ?

There is no part b.This is a past year university question.I don't have the answer to it.I will be grateful to you if you could verify my calculation.

PF isn't really meant to stamp-approve homework (would get us into trouble with all the teachers in the world). But in case this is self-study, I would say that, like you, I can't find much wrong with this straightforward calculation ...

The fun of a cyclotron is that at non-relativistic speeds the increase in speed causes the radius of the particle trajectories to increase, but the time to complete a revolution remains constant. The bigger the thing is, the more revolutions before spilling out, so the higher the kinetic energy reached, but that isn't part of the frequency / magnetic field relationship.

Likes sudipmaity
Thank you.I never post homework questions. I post past year university question only.Our class is too overcrowded for the teachers to attend to individual doubts.Solving past year question gives a feel about the type of questions that can feature in an exam.

You're welcome. And practicing exercises is the best way to learn and to prepare for tests, exams and what have you.

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field required to accelerate deutrons in a cyclotron?

The magnetic field required to accelerate deutrons in a cyclotron can be calculated using the equation B = mv/qR, where B is the magnetic field, m is the mass of the deutron, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and R is the radius of the cyclotron.

2. What is the role of the magnetic field in accelerating deutrons in a cyclotron?

The magnetic field is essential for accelerating deutrons in a cyclotron. It creates a circular motion for the deutrons, allowing them to gain speed and energy as they move through the cyclotron's accelerating gap.

3. How does the radius of the cyclotron affect the magnetic field strength?

The magnetic field strength is directly proportional to the radius of the cyclotron. This means that a larger radius will require a stronger magnetic field to accelerate deutrons at the same rate.

4. Can the magnetic field be adjusted to accelerate other particles besides deutrons in a cyclotron?

Yes, the magnetic field can be adjusted to accelerate other particles besides deutrons in a cyclotron. However, the specific values for the magnetic field may differ depending on the mass and charge of the particles being accelerated.

5. How do you ensure the magnetic field is constant and uniform throughout the cyclotron?

To ensure the magnetic field is constant and uniform throughout the cyclotron, powerful electromagnets are used. These magnets are carefully designed and placed to create a consistent magnetic field inside the cyclotron.