Calculating Magnetic Fields Force & Momentum

E-19 kg*m/s) = 1.674E-19 kg*m^2/sIn summary, the problem involves a charged particle moving in a circular orbit due to a magnetic field. The magnitude of the linear momentum and angular momentum can be calculated using the given equations, with the angular momentum being the product of the radius and linear momentum.
eku_girl83
Here's my problem:

A particle with charge 4.5E-19 C travels in a circular orbit with radius .465 m due to the force exerted on it by a magnetic field with magnitude 1.7 T and perpendicular to the orbit.

a) What is the magnitude of the momentum p of the particle?
I used the equation R=(mv)/(qB) and calculated mv (linear momentum) to be 3.6E-19 kg*m/s.

b) What is the magnitude of the angular momentum L of the particle?
Herein lies the rub! Angular momentum = v/R = qB/m
I don't know velocity or mass independently, only their product (mv). So how do I calculate angular momentum?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
angular speed: ω = v/r

angular momentum: L = r x p

Since your particle is moving in a circle, it's linear momentum vector p is always perpendicular to the position vector (radius) r so the angular momentum is simply the product:
L = rp = rmv

Your approach to finding the linear momentum of the particle is correct. To find the angular momentum, you can use the formula L = mvr, where m is the mass of the particle, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular orbit. Since you already know the value of mv, you can rearrange the equation to solve for angular momentum: L = mv*r.

In this case, the value of mv you calculated in part a) can be used, and the radius of the orbit is given as 0.465 m. Therefore, the angular momentum of the particle is L = (3.6E-19 kg*m/s)*(0.465 m) = 1.674E-19 kg*m^2/s.

Remember, angular momentum is a vector quantity, so make sure to include the correct direction in your answer. In this case, the direction of the angular momentum would be perpendicular to both the velocity and the radius of the orbit.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your calculations.

Related to Calculating Magnetic Fields Force & Momentum

1. How can I calculate the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire?

To calculate the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire, you can use the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 N/A^2), I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. What is the right-hand rule and how is it used in calculating magnetic fields?

The right-hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire. To use this rule, point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, then curl your fingers towards the wire. The direction your fingers point is the direction of the magnetic field.

3. How do you calculate the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The force on a charged particle in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic force on a particle be zero?

Yes, the magnetic force on a particle can be zero if the particle is moving parallel to the magnetic field, as sinθ would be equal to zero in the formula F = qvBsinθ.

5. How is momentum affected by a magnetic field?

A magnetic field can affect the momentum of a charged particle by changing its direction of motion. The particle will experience a force that will cause it to move in a circular path, changing its direction and therefore its momentum.