Circular trajectory traveled by a charged particle in a magnetic field

In summary, we can derive the general formula for the radius of a charged particle's trajectory in a magnetic field by equating the centripetal force formula to the Lorentz's force acting on the particle. This results in the formula r=mv/qB, where r is the radius, m is the mass, v is the velocity, q is the charge, and B is the magnetic field. For negatively charged particles, the radius is calculated using the absolute value of q, as the direction of the Lorentz's force changes but not the trajectory.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Derive the general formula for the radius of the trajectory traveled by a charged particle in a magnetic field ##\vec{B}## perpendicular to its velocity ##\vec{v}##.
Relevant Equations
Centripetal force: ##F_{C}=\frac{mv^2}{r}##
The Lorentz's force acting on a charged particle perpendicularly "hitting" a magnetic field will be directed upwards, and generally directed towards the center of the circumference traveled by this particle, and so will cause a centripetal acceleration to keep it in a circular motion.
By equalling the centripetal force formula which causes this acceleration, to the Lorentz's force acting on the particle(considering ##\theta = 90^{\circ}##), will give us:
$$qvB=\frac{mv^2}{r}\rightarrow r=\frac{mv}{qB}$$
Now, my question is: how do we treat negatively charged particles? By this formula, wouldn't their radiuses be ##<0##, since ##r\propto \frac{1}{q}##?
I can't understand why we don't use the absolute value of ##q##, since(correct me if I'm wrong), even in case of a negative charge the trajectory doesn't change, apart from the Lorentz's force direction(which would be inverted).

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
apart from the Lorentz's force direction(which would be inverted).
Right ! So the trajectory curves in the opposite direction !

Likes greg_rack
Bear in mind that a force is a vector: it has magnitude and a direction.
The expression for the Lorentz force is a vector equation and all three of ##q##, ##\vec v ## and ##\vec B## determine the direction. Your ##r= {mv\over qB}## is written as a scalar equation containing only magnitudes (and units).

Likes greg_rack
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: Derive the general formula for the radius of the trajectory traveled by a charged particle in a magnetic field ##\vec{B}## perpendicular to its velocity ##\vec{v}##.
Relevant Equations:: Centripetal force: ##F_{C}=\frac{mv^2}{r}##

The Lorentz's force acting on a charged particle perpendicularly "hitting" a magnetic field will be directed upwards, and generally directed towards the center of the circumference traveled by this particle, and so will cause a centripetal acceleration to keep it in a circular motion.
By equalling the centripetal force formula which causes this acceleration, to the Lorentz's force acting on the particle(considering ##\theta = 90^{\circ}##), will give us:
$$qvB=\frac{mv^2}{r}\rightarrow r=\frac{mv}{qB}$$
Now, my question is: how do we treat negatively charged particles? By this formula, wouldn't their radiuses be ##<0##, since ##r\propto \frac{1}{q}##?
I can't understand why we don't use the absolute value of ##q##, since(correct me if I'm wrong), even in case of a negative charge the trajectory doesn't change, apart from the Lorentz's force direction(which would be inverted).
Yes, it's the magnitude of the whole thing:$$r=\big | \frac{mv}{qB} \big |$$

Likes greg_rack

1. How does a magnetic field affect the motion of a charged particle?

When a charged particle travels through a magnetic field, it experiences a force known as the Lorentz force. This force causes the particle to move in a circular trajectory, perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the velocity of the particle.

2. What factors determine the radius of the circular trajectory?

The radius of the circular trajectory depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the mass and charge of the particle, and the speed at which it is traveling. The stronger the magnetic field or the faster the particle is moving, the larger the radius will be.

3. Can a charged particle escape a magnetic field?

No, a charged particle cannot escape a magnetic field. As long as the magnetic field is present, the particle will continue to move in a circular trajectory. However, the radius of the trajectory may change if the speed or direction of the particle changes.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic field affect the circular trajectory?

The direction of the magnetic field determines the direction in which the particle will move in its circular trajectory. If the magnetic field is reversed, the particle will also move in the opposite direction.

5. What is the significance of circular motion in a magnetic field?

Circular motion in a magnetic field is important in many scientific and technological applications. It is used in particle accelerators to manipulate and control the paths of charged particles. It is also the basis for many devices such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines.