Calculating Mass of Triangle Surface Given Density 4xz

In summary, the problem is to find the mass of the surface of a triangle with given vertices and a variable density, using integration and the plane equation. The solution involves finding the surface area and then multiplying it by the density, but there is a step where the variable density does not seem to relate to the final formula. Assistance is needed to understand this step.
s3a

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the surface of the triangle with vertices (2,0,0), (0,2,0) and (0,0,1) if the density is 4xz. The solution is attached as TheSolution.jpg.

Homework Equations

Integration. Cross product. Plane equation: a(x-x_0) + b(y-y_0) + c(z-z_0) = 0 where <a,b,c> = n (vector that is normal to the plane) and where (x_0,y_0,z_0) is any arbitrarily chosen vertice.

The Attempt at a Solution

Having watched (1) and read (2),:

(1)
(2) http://www.math.oregonstate.edu/hom...usQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/surfint/surfint.html

I have successfully reached the dS = sqrt(3/2) dA step and for the next step, I'm supposed to multiply the density by the surface area in order to get the mass of the surface but, I just don't see how I'm supposed to get the (4x – 2x^2 – 2xy) part nor do I see how the variable density, 4xz, relates to that; I'm not sure that it should relate but I feel it should.

Could someone please help me understand the step I am stuck on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• TheSolution.jpg
    TheSolution.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 739
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the surface of the triangle with vertices (2,0,0), (0,2,0) and (0,0,1) if the density is 4xz. The solution is attached as TheSolution.jpg.

Homework Equations

Integration. Cross product. Plane equation: a(x-x_0) + b(y-y_0) + c(z-z_0) = 0 where <a,b,c> = n (vector that is normal to the plane) and where (x_0,y_0,z_0) is any arbitrarily chosen vertice.

The Attempt at a Solution

Having watched (1) and read (2),:

(1)
(2) http://www.math.oregonstate.edu/hom...usQuestStudyGuides/vcalc/surfint/surfint.html

I have successfully reached the dS = sqrt(3/2) dA step and for the next step, I'm supposed to multiply the density by the surface area in order to get the mass of the surface but, I just don't see how I'm supposed to get the (4x – 2x^2 – 2xy) part nor do I see how the variable density, 4xz, relates to that; I'm not sure that it should relate but I feel it should.

Could someone please help me understand the step I am stuck on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

You have expressed the plane as z in terms of x and y. In the integral, the z in the density formula 4xz must be replaced by its value in terms of x and y on the plane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Related to Calculating Mass of Triangle Surface Given Density 4xz

What is the formula for calculating the mass of a triangle surface given density 4xz?

The formula for calculating the mass of a triangle surface is: Mass = Density x Area, where the density is 4xz and the area is the base times the height divided by 2.

What are the units of measurement for the mass of a triangle surface given density 4xz?

The units of measurement for the mass of a triangle surface are determined by the units used for density and area. In this case, the units would be (4xz) x (unit of area), such as grams per square meter.

How do I find the area of a triangle?

To find the area of a triangle, you can use the formula: Area = (base x height) / 2. Make sure to use the same units for both the base and height.

Can the density of a triangle surface given density 4xz be negative?

No, the density cannot be negative as it represents the amount of mass per unit of area and mass cannot be negative.

What is the relationship between the mass, density, and area of a triangle surface given density 4xz?

The relationship between mass, density, and area can be described as: Mass is directly proportional to both density and area. This means that as the density or area increases, the mass will also increase. However, the relationship between density and area is inverse, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases.