Calculating Mass on a Wave Pulse Along a Wire

In summary, The figure shows two masses hanging from a steel wire. The mass of the wire is 10.6 kg and a wave pulse travels along the wire from point 1 to point 2 in 166.667 ms.
996gt2

Homework Statement

The figure shows two masses hanging from a steel wire. The mass of the wire is 60.0 g. A wave pulse travels along the wire from point 1 to point 2 in 24.0 ms.

What is mass m?

knight_Figure_20_80.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

L=8.0m

[tex]m_{string}=60g=0.06kg[/tex]

[tex]
\mu=m_{string}/L=0.0075 kg/m
[/tex]

[tex]v=4.0m/24ms=166.667m/s[/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{T/\mu}=\sqrt{T/0.0075kg/m}[/tex]

[tex]T=\sqrt{(2mgsin\theta)^2+(2mgcos\theta)^2)[/tex]

Using [tex]\theta=40 degrees[/tex], I got m to be 10.6 kg. However, this answer is wrong. Can anyone tell me where I made the mistake? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you only interested in the horizontal tension in the wire from 1 to 2?

LowlyPion said:
Aren't you only interested in the horizontal tension in the wire from 1 to 2?

So you mean I should keep using 8.0m for L but use 2mg cos 40 for T?

I tried doing that-->setting 2mg cos 40 for T and then solving for T.

I got 13.9 kg, which is still not right...

Am I supposed to use 4m for L too?

Last edited:
Why is it 2mgCos40 ?

But as to the μ, you simply calculate the density as you did. The density can be considered not to change between the various segments.

LowlyPion said:
Why is it 2mgCos40 ?

But as to the μ, you simply calculate the density as you did. The density can be considered not to change between the various segments.

Well, I thought that it was 2 mg cos 40 since each of the weights exerts a force of mg cos 40 on the string...if not, I'm confused as to how I should find T

Consider the free body diagram of 1 of the masses in isolation.

Isn't the force of the tension required to hold that mass in equilibrium equal to just mgCos40°?

Ah I figured it out. T=mg/tan(40)...

As I suggested before I think you are only interested in the horizontal Tension between points 1 and 2.

I figured out the correct answer using T=mg/tan(40) so I am pretty sure that is the correct value for the tension in that part :)

996gt2 is right. The answer is 17.8.

1. What is a wave pulse along a wire?

A wave pulse along a wire is a disturbance or vibration that travels through a wire, caused by a sudden change in the wire's position or shape.

2. How does a wave pulse travel along a wire?

A wave pulse travels along a wire by the transfer of energy from one particle to the next. As the first particle moves, it creates a disturbance in the particles around it, causing them to also move and pass on the disturbance.

3. What factors affect the speed of a wave pulse along a wire?

The speed of a wave pulse along a wire is affected by the tension, density, and thickness of the wire. A higher tension, lower density, and thinner wire will result in a faster wave pulse.

4. Can a wave pulse travel in both directions along a wire?

Yes, a wave pulse can travel in both directions along a wire. This is because the disturbance created by the initial movement of the wire can travel in either direction, causing particles to move in that direction.

5. How is the speed of a wave pulse related to the frequency and wavelength?

The speed of a wave pulse is equal to the product of its frequency and wavelength. This means that the higher the frequency or shorter the wavelength, the faster the wave pulse will travel along the wire.