Calculating Tension in a Telephone Wire with Mass and Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension at the center of a telephone wire, which is strung between two poles at an angle θ with the horizontal. The proposed solution is T= mg/2sinθ, but it is pointed out that the horizontal component of the tension must also be considered. The correct formula is Mgcosθ/2sinθ, where the horizontal tension is equal to the tension at the center. This is due to the fact that the wire has no external horizontal forces acting on it, but every part of the wire is affected by gravity, resulting in a decrease in vertical tension as the height decreases.
SillyYak

Homework Statement

A telephone wire of mass m is strung between two poles, making an angle θ with the horizontal at each end find the tension at the center. in terms of Theta Mass and G

The attempt at a solution
i assumed it was T= mg/2sintheta using the same logic as the tight rope walker problem. i think I am messing up in accounting for the mass of the wire as if someone were standing in the middle. could someone point me n the right direction

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote looks correct for the tension in the wire at a post. You then need to find the horizontal component of that tension in order to get the tension at the midpoint between the two posts.

Or you can collapse those two steps into one and go directly from the vertical component of the tension (which is what supports the weight of half the wire) to the horizontal component, by using a different trig function of the angle.

Thanks for the reply!, I thought the tension is the same throughout the wire since it is inelastic. The horizontal components of T would be -Tcostheta+Tcostheta=0 correct? I am not sure how I should use this to find the midpoint tension.

so i played around with it and got the correct answer of MgCostheta/2sintheta but am not sure how to interpret this, why would the tension at the center be equaled to the horizontal component of the tension at the post?

SillyYak said:
why would the tension at the center be equaled to the horizontal component of the tension at the post?
Because the horizontal tension is the same all the way along the wire. It must be, or the wire would move.

By contrast, the vertical tension decreases as the height of the wire decreases. At any point in the wire, the vertical tension is what's necessary to support all the wire below that point on this side of the centre point. At the centre point itself, there is no wire below it, so the vertical tension is nil.

The reason for the difference is that there's no external force acting horizontally on the wire, other than the pull from the two poles at either end. But every part of the wire has a vertical force acting on it from gravity.

I think i get it, in all my other problems the ropes/wires were massless so i didnt understand this one, Thanks for breaking it down for me!

1. What causes tension in telephone wires?

Tension in telephone wires is caused by the weight of the wire itself, as well as the weight of the poles and other structures that support the wire. Wind and weather conditions can also contribute to tension in the wire.

2. How does tension affect telephone wire?

Excessive tension in telephone wire can cause the wire to stretch and sag, which can lead to poor signal quality and even disconnection. On the other hand, too little tension can cause the wire to break or become loose, also affecting signal quality.

3. How is tension measured in telephone wires?

The tension in telephone wires is measured using a device called a tensiometer, which uses a spring balance to measure the force applied to the wire. This measurement is usually expressed in pounds or kilograms.

4. Can tension in telephone wires be adjusted?

Yes, tension in telephone wires can be adjusted by using devices such as tensioners or turnbuckles to tighten or loosen the wire. This is important in maintaining the proper tension for optimal signal quality.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to tension in telephone wires?

Yes, there are safety concerns related to tension in telephone wires. If the tension is too high, the wire can snap and cause injury or damage. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when working with telephone wires and to have a professional handle any adjustments to tension.