Calculating Mass to Balance Electrostatic Field on See-Saw

In summary, A see-saw with a central pivot made of insulating material has a conducting sphere of charge Q = 5.0x10^-6 on the left end and a conducting sphere of charge +3Q on the right end. The right end also has a block placed on it to balance the system and keep the rod horizontal. The task is to calculate the mass of the block required to balance the see-saw. The electrostatic forces on both ends have been calculated, but the poster is unsure of how to proceed. The solution involves finding the moment (torque) of each force about the pivot and using that to determine the mass needed to balance the see-saw. The electrostatic force is greater on the RHS due
cerium
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
A see-saw with a central pivot is made of insulating material. the left hand side supports a conducting sphere of charge Q= 5.0x 10-6 which experiances an electrostatic force from an idetical sphere 10cm below with +Q
the right end has anouther conducting sphere of charge +3Q which is 10cm above a sphere with charge +4Q. A block is placed on the right hand side of the see-saw to balance the system and keep the rod horizontal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

#
My question is calculate the mass of the block required to balance the see-saw. I have no idea were to start
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cerium! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us how far you've got, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help!

Start with the forces on the two spheres. :smile:

Thank you for that hopefully I can get going now

I have worked out the electrostatic force for both sides of the see-saw but I am unsure of how to proceed to get the mass of the block
Thanks in advance

ok, now you have the three forces (two electrostatic and one gravitational), find the moment (the torque ) of each force about the pivot, and decide what the mass needs to be for them to balance. :smile:

Im having a mental block how can I work out gravitatinal force if I haven't been given any masses,

uhh? the mass is what you have to find.

call it m.

tiny-tim said:
ok, now you have the three forces (two electrostatic and one gravitational)

Hi tiny-tim,
Can I just check, to find the electrostatic force on either side of the see saw would you use the equation:
F_el = 1/4pi[tex]\epsilon[/tex]_0 x q_1xq_2/r_2

Hi coz! :smile:

(are you the same person as cerium?)
coz said:
Hi tiny-tim,
Can I just check, to find the electrostatic force on either side of the see saw would you use the equation:
F_el = 1/4pi[tex]\epsilon[/tex]_0 x q_1xq_2/r_2

A little difficult to read (try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:), but yes, that looks like Coulomb's law ! :smile:

Hi, no I am not the same person as cerium, just have a similar question to work out. I am new to this, so thanks for the tips!

For the LHS I have
[F][/el] = [8.988x10][/9] N m2 C-2 x ([5.0x10][/-6] x [5.0x10][/-6])/(0.1m)2
= 22.47N

For the RHS I have
[F][/el] = [8.988x10][/9] N m2 C-2 x ([1.5x10][/-5] x [2.0x10][/-5])/(0.1m)2
= 269.64 N

I must have done something wrong though, as this shows that electrostatic force is greater on the RHS than the LHS, so why would the block be placed on the RHS to balance the see-saw?

(i hope all my calculations come out correctly)

Obviously I didn't use the tags correctly! How do they work then? Thanks again!

Hi Coz I worked out the same as you and I am still not sure how to proceed Have you had any joy yet

Not yet, but I won't let it beat me! :)

Welcome to PF!

coz said:
I must have done something wrong though, as this shows that electrostatic force is greater on the RHS than the LHS, so why would the block be placed on the RHS to balance the see-saw?

hmm :rolleyes: … something to do with the direction of the electrostatic force? :wink:
coz said:
Obviously I didn't use the tags correctly! How do they work then? Thanks again!

Press the "QUOTE" button under this post, and you'll see lots of exciting tags! :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
hmm :rolleyes: … something to do with the direction of the electrostatic force? :wink:

Ok, so the charges are like and so they repel, and the RHS repels with greater force than the LHS, because the charge is higher there.

tiny-tim said:
ok, now you have the three forces (two electrostatic and one gravitational

The only equations I know for gravitational force are;

Fgrav = -Gm1m2/r2
Fgrav (on m at r) = mg(r)

But both of these need the mass to work out the gravitational force. I could use F=ma to work out the mass, but this seems too easy! Also you mentioned torque earlier, so I don't think this is right!

Could I make the electrostatic force on th RHS equal the gravitational force and then rearrange Fgrav (on m at r) = mg(r)? Again this doesn't use torque, so I am assuming it is not right!

Hi coz! :smile:

(erm :redface: … you're using the X2 tag on the wrong bits! :rolleyes:)
coz said:
The only equations I know for gravitational force are;

Fgrav = -Gm1m2/r2
Fgrav (on m at r) = mg(r)

But both of these need the mass to work out the gravitational force.

As I said to cerium … the mass is what you have to find.

call it m.

And your formula is for a general radius r from the Earth's centre.

When you're here (on the Earth's surface), just use F = mg. :smile:
I could use F=ma to work out the mass, but this seems too easy! Also you mentioned torque earlier, so I don't think this is right!

Could I make the electrostatic force on th RHS equal the gravitational force and then rearrange Fgrav (on m at r) = mg(r)? Again this doesn't use torque, so I am assuming it is not right!

?? :confused: you're just rambling … get some sleep! :zzz:

Sorry for rambling!

m=F/g = 27.486kg

This seems too simple.

coz said:
m=F/g

This seems too simple.

Well, in this case all the distances happen to be the same, so it is that simple! :smile:

Thank you so much for all your help :)

Hi. I'm new but I wanted to clarify something in Coz's working. It looks like they used the electrostatic force of the LHS for the force in F=mg. But is that right? or should it be the difference between the LHS and the RHS? But that leads to me to wonder if you can just subtract forces like that?
Thanks

Welcome to PF!

sand said:
Hi. I'm new but I wanted to clarify something in Coz's working. It looks like they used the electrostatic force of the LHS for the force in F=mg. But is that right? or should it be the difference between the LHS and the RHS? But that leads to me to wonder if you can just subtract forces like that?
Thanks

Hi sand! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(i'm not sure what you're asking, but …)

technically, we weren't subtracting forces, we were subtracting moments of forces …

but the distances are all the same, so the moments are all proportional to the forces in this question.

Thanks. That was helpful.
My understanding of this side of Physics isn't very good so I'm sorry if my questions aren't well worded.

Related to Calculating Mass to Balance Electrostatic Field on See-Saw

What is the purpose of calculating mass to balance electrostatic field on see-saw?

The purpose of calculating mass to balance electrostatic field on see-saw is to ensure that the forces acting on the see-saw are balanced, so that it remains in a stable position. This is important for safety and to prevent the see-saw from tipping over.

How do you calculate the mass needed to balance the electrostatic field on a see-saw?

To calculate the mass needed to balance the electrostatic field on a see-saw, you will need to know the weight of the see-saw, the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass of the see-saw, and the strength of the electrostatic force acting on the see-saw. Using these values, you can use the equation F = ma (force = mass x acceleration) to determine the mass needed to balance the see-saw.

What factors can affect the calculation of mass needed to balance the electrostatic field on a see-saw?

Some factors that can affect the calculation of mass needed to balance the electrostatic field on a see-saw include the size and shape of the see-saw, the location of the pivot point, and the strength and direction of the electrostatic force. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact on the mass needed to balance the see-saw.

How does the distance between the pivot point and the center of mass affect the calculation of mass needed to balance the electrostatic field on a see-saw?

The distance between the pivot point and the center of mass of the see-saw is a crucial factor in determining the mass needed to balance the electrostatic field. The farther the center of mass is from the pivot point, the larger the mass needed to balance the see-saw. This means that if the center of mass is closer to one end of the see-saw, more weight will need to be added to the opposite end to achieve balance.

How can the calculation of mass needed to balance the electrostatic field on a see-saw be applied in real-life situations?

The calculation of mass needed to balance the electrostatic field on a see-saw can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing playground equipment or amusement park rides. It can also be used in the development of engineering and construction projects, to ensure that structures are balanced and stable. Additionally, this calculation can be useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects under the influence of electrostatic forces.