Calculating Masses in a Dynamic Pulley System

In summary: Thanks, but, anyway, I can't get the solution if I suppose a1 = a2...Problem solved. The exercise was wrong, there were 2 pulleys, not only 1.
PhoenixWright

Homework Statement

You have a a mass, m1, in a plane. This mass is connected to a pulley by a thread, to a mass m2. Prove that:

\begin{equation}
m_{1} = \dfrac{m_{2}(2g - a)}{4a}
\end{equation}

Homework Equations

0e6a5d2340e77c6e9b97cafbb2f27f0d.png

9e4631226608aba70dca3fc61ca115d1.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know why, but I can get this:

\begin{equation}
m_{1} = \dfrac{m_{2}(g - a)}{a}
\end{equation}

It's a similar equation, but it's not the same. How can I get the right solution?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
PhoenixWright said:
I don't know why, but I can get this:

m1=m2(g−a)a​
(2)(2)m1=m2(g−a)a\begin{equation} m_{1} = \dfrac{m_{2}(g - a)}{a} \end{equation}

It's a similar equation, but it's not the same. How can I get the right solution?
how you take a start-give free body diagram of the masses?

drvrm said:
how you take a start-give free body diagram of the masses?

m1 is in a plane (it's not inclinated) and m2 is is hanging from a pulley. They are connected by a thread.

In m1 we only consider Tension force (because N = mg), and in m2 we consider Tension force and m_{2}g

Thanks

PhoenixWright said:
m1 is in a plane (it's not inclinated) and m2 is is hanging from a pulley. They are connected by a thread.

In m1 we only consider Tension force (because N = mg), and in m2 we consider Tension force and m_{2}g

Thanks
so , how you write the equation of motion? the pulley is massless or not? if m1 is sitting on a plane will there be motion?

drvrm said:
so , how you write the equation of motion? the pulley is massless or not? if m1 is sitting on a plane will there be motion?

The pulley is massless. The plane has no motion.

I use this:
\begin{equation}
m_{1}\vec{g} + \vec{N} + \vec{T_{1}} = m_{1}\vec{a_{1}}
\ \\
m_{2}\vec{g} + \vec{T_{2}} = m_{2}\vec{a_{2}}
\end{equation}
Therefore:
\begin{equation}
T_{1} = m_{1}a_{1} \ \\
T_{2} - m_{2}g = m_{2}a_{2}
\ \\
T_{1} = T_{2} (massless)
\ \\
a_{1} = -a_{2}
\end{equation}
Then, I got the equation I put before... But it's not what I must get.

PhoenixWright said:
The pulley is massless. The plane has no motion.

i just feel that how the mass m1 can move sitting tight on the plane- if it is raised from the plane by the string then what happens to gravitational pull-sorry i can not visualize it ,pl make the dynamics more clear

drvrm said:
i just feel that how the mass m1 can move sitting tight on the plane- if it is raised from the plane by the string then what happens to gravitational pull-sorry i can not visualize it ,pl make the dynamics more clear

This is a pic of the situation:

zxv1g2.jpg

PhoenixWright said:
This is a pic of the situation:

in the above case your equations seem to be correct but the accelerations are not related like a(1) = -a(2) as one is horizontal and the other is vertical

drvrm said:
in the above case your equations seem to be correct but the accelerations are not related like a(1) = -a(2) as one is horizontal and the other is vertical

Thanks, but, anyway, I can't get the solution if I suppose a1 = a2...

Problem solved. The exercise was wrong, there were 2 pulleys, not only 1.

Related to Calculating Masses in a Dynamic Pulley System

1. What is a dynamic problem with pulley?

A dynamic problem with pulley is a scenario in which a system of objects connected by a pulley is in motion. This creates a complex problem as the tension, acceleration, and velocities of the objects are constantly changing.

2. How do you approach solving a dynamic problem with pulley?

To solve a dynamic problem with pulley, you must first draw a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on each object. Then, apply Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion to determine the unknown quantities.

3. What are some common challenges when solving a dynamic problem with pulley?

Some common challenges when solving a dynamic problem with pulley include determining the direction of the forces, considering the mass and weight of the objects, and accounting for the friction in the pulley system.

4. How does the mass of the objects affect the solution to a dynamic problem with pulley?

The mass of the objects affects the solution to a dynamic problem with pulley as it determines the amount of force needed to accelerate the objects. Heavier objects require more force to accelerate, which can affect the tension and acceleration in the system.

5. Can the pulley itself affect the solution to a dynamic problem with pulley?

Yes, the pulley itself can affect the solution to a dynamic problem with pulley. Friction in the pulley system can cause a decrease in the tension and acceleration of the objects. Additionally, the mass and shape of the pulley can also impact the forces acting on the system.