Calculating Max Flow Rate Through Pipe System

In summary, adding a booster pump in series with the discharge of the first pump at the source would increase the flow rate, but the pressure at the outlet of the booster pump would be exceeded.
Jbucky21389
Is it possible to calculate the max flow rate (gals/m) achievable through a given piping system with only the following variables?

- 4" SDR 11 HDPE pipe (3.633" ID)
- 28,000 feet of pipe from source to destination
- 90' of elevation change from source to destination
- destination is another pond, pipe is open ended and 90' higher than source.
- 150 roughness value

I'm trying to figure out what size of centrifugal pump to place at the source pond and what flow rate is possible. I'm not very smart about this type of thing. I Googled it, but every calculator I found wanted either velocity or flow rate, which I don't know because there is no pump there yet..? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I designed piping systems as an ancillary job, my component catalogues all listed flow loss D/L per component or foot. Use that to model the system - a system diagram - pick your pump characteristic (curve) to intersect the system diagram at your desired flow rate.

Last edited:
Great, got that figured out. Thanks. Now, I have another question... how would adding another pump in series affect the pressure on the pipe? I understand that with two centrifugal pumps in series, having equal specifications, you would add their head ratings together which would slide the desired flow rate further out on the system curve thereby increasing the flow rate. I guess what I'm trying to get at is to get better flow rate would I put the series "booster" centrifugal pump piggy-backed onto the discharge of the first pump right at the source, or would I be better off to put it a couple miles downstream in the piping system? Putting it in series right at the source pond pump would probably increase the pressure at the outlet of the booster pump so much so that the pipe's pressure rating would be exceeded?

1. What is max flow rate and why is it important in pipe systems?

Max flow rate refers to the maximum amount of fluid that can flow through a pipe system in a given amount of time. It is an important factor to consider in pipe systems as it determines the capacity and efficiency of the system.

2. How is max flow rate calculated?

Max flow rate can be calculated using the formula Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the velocity of the fluid. Other factors such as fluid density and viscosity may also be taken into account depending on the specific system.

3. What factors can affect the max flow rate in a pipe system?

The main factors that can affect max flow rate in a pipe system include pipe diameter, length, and material, as well as fluid properties such as density and viscosity. Any obstructions or changes in direction in the pipe can also impact the flow rate.

4. How can the max flow rate be optimized in a pipe system?

To optimize the max flow rate in a pipe system, the diameter of the pipes can be increased, the length can be reduced, and smoother materials can be used to minimize friction. Additionally, minimizing any obstructions or changes in direction can also help improve the flow rate.

5. What are some common tools used to measure and monitor max flow rate in a pipe system?

Some common tools used to measure and monitor max flow rate in a pipe system include flow meters, pressure gauges, and ultrasonic sensors. These instruments can provide real-time data on the flow rate and can also help detect any abnormalities or changes in the system.