Calculating Max Force on Pillow Block Bearings for Reverse Hyper

In summary, the "Pendulum Pivot Max Force" refers to the maximum force experienced by the pivot point of a pendulum during its swing. It is calculated by multiplying the mass, acceleration due to gravity, and length of the pendulum. It is important in pendulum experiments as it affects the stability and durability of the pivot point and can impact the accuracy of the experiment. While it does not directly affect the period of a pendulum, it can contribute to its overall motion. The force can be reduced by using a pivot point with a higher weight capacity, decreasing the mass or length of the pendulum, and proper maintenance and lubrication.
JK29
Hey Wizards,

I recently built a Reverse Hyper, picture attached, for my home gym. It's a basic pendulum on which weight is added. It currently utilizes 2 - 5/8'' pillow block bearings for the pivot. Each are rated to ~6.25 KN.

Can anyone provide me with the equations or reference material, so that I can calculate the maximal force exerted on the pillow block bearings with different loads and speeds?

Thanks!
JK29

RH.JPG

Attachments

• RH.JPG
    RH.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 566
Engineering news on Phys.org
No one wants the challenge?? lol, just kidding...

1. What is the "Pendulum Pivot Max Force"?

The "Pendulum Pivot Max Force" is a term used to describe the maximum force exerted on the pivot point of a pendulum during its swing. It is a measure of the maximum stress and strain that the pivot point experiences.

2. How is the Pendulum Pivot Max Force calculated?

The Pendulum Pivot Max Force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the pendulum by the acceleration due to gravity and the length of the pendulum. This calculation takes into account the maximum potential energy of the pendulum at its highest point and the force required to keep it in motion.

3. Why is the Pendulum Pivot Max Force important in pendulum experiments?

The Pendulum Pivot Max Force is important in pendulum experiments because it helps determine the stability and durability of the pendulum's pivot point. If the force exceeds the pivot's maximum capacity, it can lead to damage and affect the accuracy of the experiment.

4. How does the Pendulum Pivot Max Force affect the period of a pendulum?

The Pendulum Pivot Max Force does not directly affect the period of a pendulum. However, it is a contributing factor in the pendulum's overall motion and can impact the accuracy of the period calculation if the pivot point is not stable.

5. Can the Pendulum Pivot Max Force be reduced?

Yes, the Pendulum Pivot Max Force can be reduced by using a pivot point with a higher weight capacity or by decreasing the mass or length of the pendulum. Proper lubrication and maintenance of the pivot point can also help reduce the force exerted on it.