Calculating Max People for Fluid Buoyancy Check Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of how many people can stand on a raft made of 11 logs without getting their feet wet, considering the weight of the logs and assuming the density of wood is 600kg/m3. The conclusion is that 10 people can stand on the raft without it sinking.
shards5

Homework Statement

A raft is made of 11 logs lashed together. Each is 35 cm in diameter and has a length of 5.6 m. How many people can the raft hold before they start getting their feet wet, assuming the average person has a mass of 70 kg? Do not neglect the weight of the logs. Assume the density of wood is 600kg/m3

Just want to make sure that I did my work correctly because this looks like a really big raft and I am not sure if only ten people would actually stand on such a big raft.

Homework Equations

Fb - mtotalg = 0
Thus
FB = mtotalg
where mtotal = mass of 11 logs + mass of unknown number of people

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\rho[/tex]water * Volume occupied by the logs * number of logs * g = mpeople * number of people + [tex]\rho[/tex]logs * Volume occupied by the logs * number of logs

Subtracting the desnity of logs times the volume from the right hand side and moving it to the left, then factoring out the volume and the number of logs, and then dividing the whole thing on the left by the mass of the people I get the following.

[number of logs * Volume occupied by logs ([tex]\rho[/tex]water - [tex]\rho[/tex]logs)] / mass of people = number of people

Plugging in the numbers I get

[11* ((35/100)/2)^2 * 5.6 * (1000 - 600)] / 70 = 10.78 People which means 10 people can stand on the boat.

Am I being paranoid for thinking this is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is OK. That wood the raft is made of is quite heavy.

ehild

1. What is fluid buoyancy and why is it important in calculating max people for a fluid buoyancy check?

Fluid buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is important in calculating max people for a fluid buoyancy check because it determines the maximum weight that can be supported by a certain volume of fluid, which is crucial for ensuring safety and stability in structures such as boats and swimming pools.

2. How is the max people for a fluid buoyancy check calculated?

The max people for a fluid buoyancy check is calculated by dividing the total weight of the fluid by the average weight of a person. This gives the maximum number of people that can safely be in or on the fluid without exceeding its buoyancy capacity.

3. What factors can affect the calculation of max people for a fluid buoyancy check?

The calculation of max people for a fluid buoyancy check can be affected by factors such as the type and density of the fluid, the shape and volume of the container, and the average weight of a person. Other variables such as temperature and atmospheric pressure may also play a role.

4. Can the max people for a fluid buoyancy check change over time?

Yes, the max people for a fluid buoyancy check can change over time. Factors such as evaporation, changes in temperature or atmospheric pressure, and addition or removal of objects or people from the fluid can all affect its buoyancy and therefore the maximum weight it can support.

5. How does the calculation of max people for a fluid buoyancy check differ for different types of fluids?

The calculation of max people for a fluid buoyancy check may differ for different types of fluids due to variations in density and other properties. For example, saltwater is denser than freshwater, so it can support more weight and therefore allow for more people in a buoyancy check. It is important to use the correct values and formulas for the specific type of fluid being analyzed.