Calculating Max Speed for 5G Turn in Aircraft

• Thread starter chinook177
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, The maximum speed an aircraft can travel at a bank angle of 90 degrees and a maximum G force of 5G is 70 mps. This calculation was done using the formula G = V^2/r, where V is the speed and r is the radius of the turn. The lift force of the plane is at right angles to the plane of the wings when the plane is fully banked. The force that supports the weight of the plane in this scenario is the maximum G force of 5G.
chinook177
Ok need a bit of help checking I've got this right please.

If an aircraft (Unknown weight) banks into a turn of radius 100m at a bank angle of 90deg ie fully banked into the turn and the max G the plane/pilot can pull is 5G what is the maximum speed the aircraft can travel?

I've worked it out using G = V^2/r

V = √(5*100)
V = 70 mps

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
chinook177 said:
... at a bank angle of 90deg ie fully banked ...

IMHO if the lift force of the plane is at right angles to the plane of the wings and the plane is fully banked. what force will support the weight of the plane?

chinook177 said:
Ok need a bit of help checking I've got this right please.

If an aircraft (Unknown weight) banks into a turn of radius 100m at a bank angle of 90deg ie fully banked into the turn and the max G the plane/pilot can pull is 5G what is the maximum speed the aircraft can travel?

I've worked it out using G = V^2/r

V = √(5*100)
V = 70 mps
You have to convert 5G to an acceleration with units in m/sec^2. I assume you have done this because √(5*100)≠70 and 70 is the right answer.

AM

1. What is the maximum speed for a 5G turn in an aircraft?

The maximum speed for a 5G turn in an aircraft depends on various factors such as the type of aircraft, its weight, and the altitude at which the turn is being performed. Typically, the maximum speed for a 5G turn ranges from 300-400 knots.

2. How is the maximum speed for a 5G turn calculated?

The maximum speed for a 5G turn is calculated by using the formula V=√(R×G), where V is the speed in knots, R is the turn radius in feet, and G is the load factor of 5G. This formula takes into account the centrifugal force acting on the aircraft during the turn.

3. Why is the maximum speed for a 5G turn important?

The maximum speed for a 5G turn is important because it ensures the safety and stability of the aircraft during the turn. Going beyond the maximum speed can put excessive strain on the aircraft and potentially lead to a loss of control.

4. How does the weight of the aircraft affect the maximum speed for a 5G turn?

The weight of the aircraft plays a significant role in determining the maximum speed for a 5G turn. A heavier aircraft will require a higher speed to maintain the necessary lift and overcome the increased centrifugal force during the turn.

5. Can the maximum speed for a 5G turn be exceeded?

It is not recommended to exceed the maximum speed for a 5G turn as it can compromise the safety and stability of the aircraft. However, in emergency situations, a pilot may have to exceed the maximum speed for a brief period to avoid a dangerous situation.