Max Speed of Car on Wet Ramp Turn at 20° Bank

In summary, the question asks for the maximum speed of a car negotiating a turn on a wet highway ramp with a radius of 200m and a banking angle of 20 degrees. The coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is given as 0.25. Using the equations Fs=μs(Fn) and Fc=mv/r, the correct answer is found to be 36m/s. However, in the attempt of solving the problem, the second formula was used incorrectly. Further clarification is needed, such as the FBD and work shown.
Balsam

Homework Statement

A car is making a turn on a wet highway ramp. The coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.25. Determine the maximum speed at which the car can safely negotiate a turn of radius 200m with a banking angle of 20 degrees.
radius= 200m
μs=0.25
angle(θ)=20°

Homework Equations

Fs=μs(Fn)

Fc=mv/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this by drawing an FBD. I drew my x and y axes so they could follow the incline and the normal and friction forces would run along the axes. The only force I broke down into components was Fg. I used the first formula to solve for Fs by plugging in the given coefficient of static friction and plugging in +mgcosθ for Fn. I got Fs=0.25(mucosθ). Then, I plugged that into the second formula with all other given values. I divided out my 'm' variables, and then isolated for 'v'. The answer I got was 22.14609185m/s. The correct answer is 36m/s. I don't know what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Balsam said:

Homework Statement

A car is making a turn on a wet highway ramp. The coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.25. Determine the maximum speed at which the car can safely negotiate a turn of radius 200m with a banking angle of 20 degrees.
radius= 200m
μs=0.25
angle(θ)=20°

Homework Equations

Fs=μs(Fn)

Fc=mv/r
The second formula is wrong, check.
Balsam said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this by drawing an FBD. I drew my x and y axes so they could follow the incline and the normal and friction forces would run along the axes. The only force I broke down into components was Fg. I used the first formula to solve for Fs by plugging in the given coefficient of static friction and plugging in +mgcosθ for Fn. I got Fs=0.25(mucosθ). Then, I plugged that into the second formula with all other given values. I divided out my 'm' variables, and then isolated for 'v'. The answer I got was 22.14609185m/s. The correct answer is 36m/s. I don't know what I did wrong.

ehild said:
The second formula is wrong, check.
I typed it wrong, but in solving the problem, i used mv^2/r

Without seeing your FBD and work in detail, we can not help you. The car goes along a horizontal circle, so the centripetal force is horizontal, while the friction acts along the slope. They are not equal. And friction is not the only force that keeps the car on track.

1. What is the maximum speed a car can safely drive on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank?

The maximum safe speed for a car on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank will depend on various factors such as the weight and type of the car, the condition of the ramp surface, and the skill of the driver. However, in general, it is recommended to drive at a speed that allows for proper control and traction on the wet surface.

2. How does the banked angle of a ramp affect the maximum speed of a car on a wet turn?

The banked angle of a ramp refers to the angle at which the ramp is tilted or sloped. A higher banked angle can allow for a higher maximum speed on a wet ramp turn as it helps to counteract the effects of centrifugal force and keeps the car from sliding off the ramp. However, the banked angle should not be too steep as it can cause the car to lose control.

3. What are the risks of driving at high speeds on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank?

Driving at high speeds on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank can increase the risk of losing control of the car and potentially causing an accident. The wet surface reduces traction, making it more difficult for the car to maintain its grip on the ramp. This can result in the car sliding or skidding off the ramp, leading to a potential crash.

4. Can a car with good traction and stability features handle a higher speed on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank?

While a car with good traction and stability features may have a better chance of handling higher speeds on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank, it is still important to exercise caution and not exceed safe speeds. These features can help improve control and stability, but they do not eliminate the risks associated with driving on a wet surface.

5. How can I determine the safe speed for my car on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank?

The best way to determine the safe speed for your car on a wet ramp turn at a 20° bank is to test it out at gradually increasing speeds and observe how the car handles. Start at a low speed and gradually increase until you feel the car start to lose traction or control, then back off to a slightly lower speed. It is always better to err on the side of caution and drive at a slower speed to ensure safety on a wet ramp turn.