Calculating maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume

In summary, the conversation discusses computing the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume that air can hold at the surface and at a height of 10 km. The equations used are e_{s}=Ae^{\beta T} and e=\rho _{v}R_{v}T, with the attempt at a solution involving setting the equations equal to each other and using the ideal gas equation. However, there is confusion about relating this to the total pressure of the air.
guitarstorm

Homework Statement

Compute the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume that air can hold at the surface, where Ts = 288 K, and at a height of 10 km where T = 220 K. Express your answers in kg m-3.

Homework Equations

[itex]e_{s}=Ae^{\beta T}[/itex]

[itex]e=\rho _{v}R_{v}T[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since saturation occurs when e=[itex]e_{s}[/itex], I figured I would set the two equations equal to each other. However, solving for [itex]\rho _{v}[/itex] doesn't work... The units don't work out, and I get a really large number... I feel like I have to somehow relate this to the total pressure of the air, but I'm unsure how to go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I was incorrect in my previous post saying that the units didn't work out... Solving for [itex]{\rho _{v}}[/itex] when e=[itex]e_{s}[/itex] does produce an answer in [itex]\frac{kg}{m^{3}}[/itex]... However I'm getting 1,103,248.397 [itex]\frac{kg}{m^{3}}[/itex], for the first case where T=288 K, which is way off from what I should be getting (0.0126 [itex]\frac{kg}{m^{3}}[/itex]).

I believe I then have to use the ideal gas equation, pV=nRT, plugging in p for e... But this is where the confusion comes in. Hopefully someone can help me with this tonight, since this HW is due tomorrow morning...

Related to Calculating maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume

1. How do you calculate the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume in a given space?

In order to calculate the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume, you will need to know the temperature and pressure of the space. Using these values, you can use the Ideal Gas Law (PV=nRT) to calculate the number of moles of water vapor present. Then, by multiplying the number of moles by the molar mass of water (18.02 g/mol), you can determine the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume.

2. What units are typically used to express the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume?

The maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume is typically expressed in units of grams per cubic meter (g/m^3) or grams per liter (g/L).

3. How does temperature affect the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume?

As temperature increases, the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume also increases. This is because warmer air can hold more water vapor than colder air.

4. Is the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume a fixed value?

No, the maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume is not a fixed value. It depends on the temperature and pressure of the space, as well as the presence of other substances such as other gases or particles.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation for maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume?

The accuracy of the calculation for maximum amount of water vapor per unit volume can be affected by changes in temperature or pressure, as well as the presence of other substances in the space. Additionally, the Ideal Gas Law assumes that the water vapor behaves like an ideal gas, which may not always be the case.