Calculating Maximum Stress for Flat Bar w/Circular Hole

In summary, the graph shows stress concentration factor K for flat bars with a circular hole geometry. A load of 50kN is applied to a plate with a width of 100mm and a thickness of 10mm. To find the maximum stress, the nominal stress is calculated by dividing the load by the cross section area of the plate, minus the cross section area of the hole. The maximum stress for a plate without a hole is 50MPa. To find the maximum stress for a plate with a hole, the stress concentration factor is determined using the d/b ratio on the x-axis and the curve on the graph. With a d/b ratio of 0.5, the SCF is 2.2 and the
qwerty0123
trying yo figure this out:
the graph of stress concentration factor K for flat bars with a circular hole geometries are shown in the diagram link below. a load of 50kN is applied to the plate. the width of the plate b=100mm with a thickness of t=10mm

find the maximum stress for the following:
1. plate without hole
2. plate with hole (diameter 50mm)
3. how much is SCF? well k=nominal stress / maximum stress but I am not sure how to get the maximum stress, is it s chart or the graph below?
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/scfvk.jpg/

this is what i have done so:
stress=P/A
p=50X10^3
A=(b-d)h = 50mm x 10mm = 500mmsquared = 0.0005m squared??

so nominal stress is = 50x10^3/0.0005 = 6000?

Physics news on Phys.org
ive found the stress for the plate without the hole to be:
P/A
=
P/bt= 50000/0.001
=
50MPa

cant do the second bit though
cant find the correct area either

Pick out the stress concentration factor based on the given dimensions and solve for the max stress near the hole using your formula.

PhanthomJay said:
Pick out the stress concentration factor based on the given dimensions and solve for the max stress near the hole using your formula.

how do i do that?

qwerty0123 said:
how do i do that?
Stress concentration factors are derived from the Theory of Elasticity. In this example, the stress concentration factor is plotted on the y-axis and the d/b ratio is plotted on the x axis. Find the correct value of d/b on the x axis, and move up vertically until you hit the curve (hint, the SCF is somewhere in between 3 and 2.5). Once you determine the SCF, then use the formula given in the chart to calculate the max stress near the hole. Note that the reference (nominal) stress is calculated based on the cross section area of the plate minus the cross section area of the hole. You would get different SCF factors if you use the stress on the plate without the hole as your reference stress. I assume the graph given is given correctly.

PhanthomJay said:
Stress concentration factors are derived from the Theory of Elasticity. In this example, the stress concentration factor is plotted on the y-axis and the d/b ratio is plotted on the x axis. Find the correct value of d/b on the x axis, and move up vertically until you hit the curve (hint, the SCF is somewhere in between 3 and 2.5). Once you determine the SCF, then use the formula given in the chart to calculate the max stress near the hole. Note that the reference (nominal) stress is calculated based on the cross section area of the plate minus the cross section area of the hole. You would get different SCF factors if you use the stress on the plate without the hole as your reference stress. I assume the graph given is given correctly.

i've got d/b to be 0.5 since d=50 and b=100 d/b=50/100 = 0.5
using the graph i get 2.2?

qwerty0123 said:
i've got d/b to be 0.5 since d=50 and b=100 d/b=50/100 = 0.5
using the graph i get 2.2?
Oh yeah that's about right I gave a bad hint because I wasn't looking at the graph and going from my incorrect memory of it from an earlier viewing, Sorry. So now that the SCF is 2.2, calculate the max stress near the hole using the formula given on the chart.

PhanthomJay said:
Oh yeah that's about right I gave a bad hint because I wasn't looking at the graph and going from my incorrect memory of it from an earlier viewing, Sorry. So now that the SCF is 2.2, calculate the max stress near the hole using the formula given on the chart.

haha that's ok...ive managed to get the maximum stress as 110MPa
since 2.2x50MPa = 110 000 000

thats part 2 done but what about part 3 the SCF?

qwerty0123 said:
haha that's ok...ive managed to get the maximum stress as 110MPa
since 2.2x50MPa = 110 000 000
But the SCF factor is based on the nominal stress using the net section area at the hole, not the gross section area. Your answer is not correct.
thats part 2 done but what about part 3 the SCF?
You just told me that the SCF is 2.2!

1. How do you calculate the maximum stress for a flat bar with a circular hole?

The maximum stress for a flat bar with a circular hole can be calculated using the formula σmax = (F/A) + (M*y/I), where F is the applied force, A is the cross-sectional area of the bar, M is the bending moment, y is the distance from the neutral axis to the point where maximum stress occurs, and I is the moment of inertia.

2. What is the significance of calculating maximum stress for a flat bar with a circular hole?

Calculating maximum stress for a flat bar with a circular hole is important in determining the strength and stability of the bar. It helps engineers and designers ensure that the bar can withstand the expected load and avoid failure.

3. What factors can affect the maximum stress for a flat bar with a circular hole?

The maximum stress of a flat bar with a circular hole can be affected by the size and shape of the hole, the material properties of the bar, the applied force, and the location and direction of the applied force.

4. How can you determine the location of maximum stress in a flat bar with a circular hole?

The location of maximum stress in a flat bar with a circular hole can be determined by finding the point where the bending moment is at its maximum and calculating the distance from the neutral axis to that point.

5. What are some common applications of calculating maximum stress for flat bars with circular holes?

Calculating maximum stress for flat bars with circular holes is commonly used in engineering and design for structures such as bridges, buildings, and machines. It is also important in industries such as aerospace and automotive, where the strength and stability of materials is crucial.