Stress concentrations: find max d and min r on stepped bar

In summary: Is that close enough? Thank you for your reply. I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a more efficient way to go about it. I actually ended finding a fit curve with some stats software, and used that to solve for d, which came out to 37mm. Is that close enough?
james_a
The problem:
The stepped bar with a circular hole, shown in Figure P5.75, is made of annealed 18-8 stainless steel. The bar is 12-mm thick and will be subjected to an axial tensile load of P=70kN. The normal stress in the bar is not to exceed 150 MPa. To the nearest millimeter, determine
(a) the maximum allowable hole diameter d.
(b) the minimum allowable fillet radius r.​
Given figures:
w0438a.png

w0427.png
w0428.png

So let's talk about part a.
I understand that K=σmaxnom. D is given as a constant, so K seems to be a function which will vary with d.
σnom is also a function which will vary with d

Now if an actual formula were given for K in terms of d and D, we would have one equation and one unknown, and I would know how to solve for that. We just have a picture of the plot of K though. So how does one go about it? It seems the only way to do this is basically to just guess a d value, look up K, calculate σmax, and see how close you are to the 150MPa. Is it really just that? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
james_a said:
The problem:
The stepped bar with a circular hole, shown in Figure P5.75, is made of annealed 18-8 stainless steel. The bar is 12-mm thick and will be subjected to an axial tensile load of P=70kN. The normal stress in the bar is not to exceed 150 MPa. To the nearest millimeter, determine
(a) the maximum allowable hole diameter d.
(b) the minimum allowable fillet radius r.​
Given figures:
w0438a.png

w0427.png
w0428.png

So let's talk about part a.
I understand that K=σmaxnom. D is given as a constant, so K seems to be a function which will vary with d.
σnom is also a function which will vary with d

Now if an actual formula were given for K in terms of d and D, we would have one equation and one unknown, and I would know how to solve for that. We just have a picture of the plot of K though. So how does one go about it? It seems the only way to do this is basically to just guess a d value, look up K, calculate σmax, and see how close you are to the 150MPa. Is it really just that? Or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Yes, the procedure you describe would be how you found the size of the hole d, in the absence of knowing K as a function of the ratio (d/D).

Some plucky individuals might actually fit a curve thru various points taken from the K-factor graph and derive an expression for K in terms of (d/D), but that would be a lot of additional work that wouldn't be a good way to spend your time, unless you had a bunch of other similar problems like this to solve.

Likes james_a
SteamKing said:
Yes, the procedure you describe would be how you found the size of the hole d, in the absence of knowing K as a function of the ratio (d/D).

Some plucky individuals might actually fit a curve thru various points taken from the K-factor graph and derive an expression for K in terms of (d/D), but that would be a lot of additional work that wouldn't be a good way to spend your time, unless you had a bunch of other similar problems like this to solve.

Thank you for your reply. I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a more efficient way to go about it. I actually ended finding a fit curve with some stats software, and used that to solve for d, which came out to 37mm.

1. What is a stress concentration?

A stress concentration is a localized area on a material where the stress is significantly higher than the surrounding area. This can occur due to variations in the geometry or material properties of the object.

2. How do stress concentrations occur on a stepped bar?

Stress concentrations on a stepped bar occur due to the sudden change in the cross-sectional area of the bar. This change in geometry causes a redistribution of stress, resulting in higher stress levels at the corners of the step.

3. Why is it important to find the maximum diameter and minimum radius on a stepped bar?

Finding the maximum diameter and minimum radius on a stepped bar is important because it allows us to determine the areas where the stress concentration is the highest. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing structures to ensure they can withstand the applied stress without failure.

4. How can we calculate the maximum diameter and minimum radius on a stepped bar?

The maximum diameter and minimum radius on a stepped bar can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the Peterson's formula or the Neuber's rule. These equations take into account the geometry and material properties of the bar to determine the stress concentration factors at the corners of the step.

5. How can we reduce stress concentrations on a stepped bar?

To reduce stress concentrations on a stepped bar, we can make design modifications such as smoothing out the corners of the step, increasing the fillet radius, or using materials with more uniform properties. Additionally, stress concentration factors can be lowered by using stress-relieving techniques such as shot peening or heat treatment.