Calculating Membrane Deflection of Clamped Rectangle

In summary: This involves understanding the stress-strain behavior of the membrane and using a differential force balance on a representative "window" of the membrane. Chetan may need to hire a consultant with experience in this area to help with the task. In summary, Chetan is looking for guidance on converting pressure into deflection for a membrane with a specific material and setup.
pavel123
Hi,

I have a rectangular membrane (material: laminated aluminum like food packaging). The membrane is clamped around perimeter. From one side I have uniform (gas) pressure.
The membrane is constrained from another side with rigid plate and, hence, do not deflect. But I can measure force that membrane pushes on the rigid plate and convert the force into pressure that I assume to be equal to pressure from another side of the membrane.
I need to convert this pressure into deflection of the membrane like if the membrane do not have the rigid plate from one side. At least in one point on the membrane surface (centre).
The deflection is not small - it is several (many) thicknesses of the membrane.

What equation should I use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google something like "Deformation of a Membrane Under Pressure" ?

You need to know the stress-strain behavior of the membrane at large deformations, and you need to do a differential force balance on a representative "window" of membrane. Then, you need to combine the two to calculate the deflections and stresses in your membrane under field conditions. Just characterizing the stress-strain behavior of the membrane is a big job, particularly if it is viscoelastic. All this is not a simple task. I suggest hiring a consultant who has experience with this type of thing.

Chet

1. How do I calculate the membrane deflection of a clamped rectangle?

The membrane deflection of a clamped rectangle can be calculated using the following formula: D = (FL^3)/(48EI), where D is the deflection, F is the applied force, L is the length of the rectangle, E is the Young's modulus of the material, and I is the moment of inertia of the rectangle's cross-sectional area.

2. What is the significance of calculating membrane deflection of a clamped rectangle?

Calculating membrane deflection is important in understanding the structural behavior of materials under different loads. It allows for the prediction and analysis of the deformation and stress on a clamped rectangle, which is useful in engineering and design applications.

3. How do I determine the Young's modulus and moment of inertia for a specific material?

The Young's modulus and moment of inertia can be found in material property tables or can be calculated using experimental data. The Young's modulus is a measure of a material's stiffness, while the moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to bending.

4. Can the formula for calculating membrane deflection be used for other geometries besides a clamped rectangle?

While the formula for calculating membrane deflection is specific to a clamped rectangle, similar formulas can be used for other geometries such as a cantilever, simply supported beam, or fixed beam. However, the values for the constants and variables in the formula may differ.

5. How does the applied force affect the membrane deflection of a clamped rectangle?

The higher the applied force, the greater the deflection of the clamped rectangle. This is because the force causes the material to bend and deform, resulting in a larger deflection. However, the relationship between force and deflection is not linear and can be affected by other factors such as the material's stiffness and geometry.