Calculating Minimum Horsepower Needed for Object Movement

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of weight x distance over time to calculate work done, and the conversion of foot pounds to horsepower. It also raises the question of whether this can be used to find the minimum horsepower needed to push a known weight a known distance in a known time, and addresses potential factors that may affect this calculation.
rm121181

Homework Statement

If weight x distance over time equals work done. Work done divided by time will give me work done over time foot pounds. Foot pounds can be converted to horsepower. So I should be able to find minimum horse power needed to push
a known weight a known distance in a known time right? Am I missing something? It seems like my horsepower needed numbers are very high.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
rm121181 said:
If weight x distance over time equals work done. Work done divided by time will give me work done over time foot pounds. Foot pounds can be converted to horsepower. So I should be able to find minimum horse power needed to push

set up the problem

rm121181 said:
a known weight a known distance in a known time right? Am I missing something? It seems like my horsepower needed numbers are very high.

horse-power
; is an unit of power equal to 550 foot-pounds per second (about 750 watts).

rm121181 said:
weight x distance over time equals work done
No, weight x distance = work done; dividing that by time gives power.
rm121181 said:
work done over time foot pounds.
No idea what that means. The work done over the time a runner's foot pounds the pavement?
rm121181 said:
Foot pounds can be converted to horsepower.
No, foot pounds is a measure of work, not power.

rm121181 said:
If weight x distance over time equals work done.

Only if the distance is vertical. The correct equation is..

Work = force * displacement

So I should be able to find minimum horse power needed to push
a known weight a known distance in a known time right?

No because the force required to move an object is not equal to the weight. For example the force might depend on friction, rolling resistance, air resistance etc some of those might be effected by weight but it might not be a simple relationship.

1. What is weight and how is it measured?

Weight is the measure of the amount of gravitational force exerted on an object by the Earth or any other celestial body. It is measured in units of mass, such as kilograms or pounds, using a scale or balance.

2. How does weight affect an object's ability to do work?

Weight plays a crucial role in an object's ability to do work. The greater the weight of an object, the more force is required to move it, and thus, more work is needed to be done on the object.

3. What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is defined as the measure of the amount of energy that is transferred to or from an object when a force is applied to it and it moves through a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance moved in the direction of the force.

4. What is horsepower and how is it related to work?

Horsepower is a unit of power that measures the rate at which work is done. It is equivalent to 550 foot-pounds per second or 746 watts. The term was coined by James Watt to compare the power of his steam engine to that of a horse.

5. How is horsepower related to weight and work?

Horsepower is directly related to weight and work. The more weight an object has, the more power is needed to move it, and thus, more horsepower is required. Similarly, the greater the amount of work that needs to be done, the more horsepower is needed to complete the task.