Calculating Molarity of KOH Solution: Discrepancy in Reported Results

• Thread starter pmason61
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
pmason61
I'm trying to verify the final molarity of my solution.

I'm adding 40.69 lb of 90% anhydrous KOH to 148.43 (561.86L) gallons of water . I get a final molarity of 0.52. The report I'm reading arrives at a molarity of 0.78. Is this an error?

Thanks to anyone who can provide the calcs.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is this homework? If so, we can move it to the correct subforum.

No it's not homework. I'm checking the calcs in a report by a colleague in nthe alkaline hydrolysis business and his stated 0.78 M KOH seems off to me. I get 297.01 moles in 561.86 liters to be 0.52 molarity

pmason61 said:
I'm adding 40.69 lb of 90% anhydrous KOH to 148.43 (561.86L) gallons of water . I get a final molarity of 0.52. The report I'm reading arrives at a molarity of 0.78. Is this an error?
"Anhydrous KOH" is K2O; any thoughts?

What's the other 10% of the anhydrous KOH?

Bystander said:
"Anhydrous KOH" is K2O; any thoughts?

Doesn't change the result enough. I am getting 0.52 M for KOH and 0.62 M for K2O (assuming the density of the solution to be 1.0247 g/mL, which is more or less OK for 0.52 M, should be a bit higher for 0.62 M).

Note 0.52/0.78 is exactly 2/3, such coincidences often mean some simple error in conversions.

1. Why do discrepancies occur when calculating the molarity of a KOH solution?

Discrepancies in calculating the molarity of a KOH (potassium hydroxide) solution can occur due to several factors. These include measurement errors (e.g., inaccurate weighing of KOH, improper volume measurements), purity of the KOH used (presence of impurities or moisture content in the solid KOH), and temperature variations which can affect the solution's density and volume. Calibration errors of instruments like balances and volumetric glassware also contribute to discrepancies.

2. How can I ensure accurate measurements when preparing a KOH solution?

To ensure accurate measurements when preparing a KOH solution, use analytical-grade reagents and calibrate your measuring instruments regularly. Weigh the KOH using a properly calibrated precision balance, and measure the solvent volume with calibrated volumetric glassware. Additionally, consider the environmental conditions, such as temperature and humidity, which might affect the accuracy of your measurements. Always dissolve and mix the solution thoroughly to achieve uniform concentration.

3. What is the impact of KOH purity on molarity calculations?

The purity of KOH significantly impacts molarity calculations. Impurities and moisture in the KOH can decrease the percentage of the active KOH available, leading to lower than expected molarity. It is crucial to use high-purity KOH and account for any known impurities or moisture content by adjusting the weight used in calculations. Manufacturers often provide a certificate of analysis that can be used to correct for these variations.

4. How can temperature affect the molarity of a KOH solution?

Temperature can affect the molarity of a KOH solution by altering the density and the volume of the solvent. As temperature increases, the volume of the liquid generally expands, potentially diluting the solution and decreasing its molarity. It is important to prepare and measure solutions at a controlled temperature, and if necessary, use temperature correction factors to ensure the accuracy of molarity calculations.

5. What steps should be taken if there is a significant discrepancy in the reported results of KOH molarity?

If there is a significant discrepancy in the reported results of KOH molarity, reevaluate the entire preparation and measurement process. Verify the calibration and accuracy of all instruments used, check the computation and formulae for molarity calculations, and reassess the purity and storage conditions of the KOH. It may also help to prepare a new batch of solution with careful adherence to all procedural steps and compare the results. If discrepancies persist, consult with other experts or consider sending samples to an external laboratory for independent analysis.