Calculating Moles of Vitamin C in Redox Titration

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of Vitamin C through a redox titration lab. The process involves dissolving a 250 mg tablet of vitamin C in 50 mL distilled water, preparing a buret with 0.002034M KIO3 solution, and adding 5.00 mL of the vitamin C solution into a flask with 5 mL of 0.6M KI, 5 mL of 1M HCl, and 1 mL starch indicator solution. The endpoint is reached after 11.27 mL of KIO3 is added. The question is then asked about calculating the moles of vitamin C from the volume of titrant added, with the molarity of KIO3 being
Mitchtwitchita
[SOLVED] Determination of Vitamin C

I'm a little stuck on getting started on the calculations of a recent redox titration lab that I did, and was wondering if anybody could help me out.

First I dissolved a 250 mg tablet of vitamin c in 50 mL distilled water.

Then, I prepared a buret with 0.002034M KIO3 solution

Next, I pipetted 5.00 mL of the vitamin c solution into a flask and added 5 mL of 0.6M KI solution, 5 mL of 1M HCl, 1 mL startch indicator solution.

The endpoint was reached after 11.27 mL of KIO3 was titrated into solution.

The question that I'm having trouble with is: From the volume of titrant added, calculate the moles of vitamin C for each titration.

I know the molarity of KIO3 is 0.002034 mol/L.

Therefore, M=n/v

n=2.2923 x 10^-5

Would this also be the amount of moles of vitamin c? Or am I way off base? Can anybody please lead me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to balance the redox equation for IO3- + I- ---> I2

and how does the vitamin C reaction with these chemicals?

Thanks for the reply eli. Yeah, I just noticed the two reaction equations hidden in the lab manual just after I posted.

1. How is vitamin C measured in foods or supplements?

In the laboratory, vitamin C can be measured using a process called titration. This involves adding a known amount of a substance called an indicator to the sample, and then slowly adding a solution of another substance until the color of the indicator changes. The amount of the second substance needed to cause this color change can then be used to calculate the concentration of vitamin C in the sample.

2. What foods are high in vitamin C?

Foods that are high in vitamin C include citrus fruits (such as oranges, lemons, and grapefruits), kiwi, strawberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, and dark leafy greens.

3. How much vitamin C do I need per day?

The recommended daily intake of vitamin C varies depending on age and gender. For adults, the recommended daily intake is 75-90 mg for women and 90-125 mg for men. However, certain factors such as smoking and pregnancy may increase the daily recommended intake.

4. What are the benefits of consuming enough vitamin C?

Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that plays many important roles in the body. It is a powerful antioxidant, helps with the production of collagen, aids in the absorption of iron, and supports the immune system. Consuming enough vitamin C can also help prevent and treat scurvy, a deficiency disease caused by insufficient vitamin C intake.

5. Can vitamin C be harmful if consumed in excess?

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin, meaning that the body does not store it and any excess is excreted in the urine. However, consuming very high doses of vitamin C (over 2000 mg per day) can cause digestive upset, diarrhea, and kidney stones in some individuals. It is generally recommended to stick to the recommended daily intake and consult a healthcare professional before taking high doses of vitamin C supplements.