Calculating Moment of Inertia Tensor for Rod Along x Axis

In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia tensor of a thin rod with mass M and length L placed along the x axis, and the user is struggling with finding the correct equation and bounds for the I_11 component. They eventually figure out their mistake and provide the correct values for all components, with the correct value for I_11 being 1/12 ml^2.
w3390

Homework Statement

A thin rod has mass M and length L. What is the moment of inertia tensor about the center of mass if placed along the x axis.

Homework Equations

I would write the inertia tensor in component notation, but I don't know how to use Latex.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting lost in the inertia tensor equation. For example, when I try to find the I_11 component, plugging in I get:

I_11 = int[rho((x_2^2 -x_1^2)+(x_3^2-x_1^2))dV]

I_11 = iiint[rho(-2x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2)dx_1dx_2dx_3]

This is where I am stuck. I do not understand what to use as my various bounds or if this equation is even correct.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so I think I figured out my problem. I was doing something wrong with the component form.

Here is what I got for my inertia tensor:

I_11 = 0
I_22 = (1/3)ml^2
I_33 = (1/3)ml^2
I_12 = I_21 = 0
I_13 = I_31 = 0
I_23 = I_32 = 0So it looks something like this:

[..0...0.....0...]
[..0...(1/3)ml^2...0...]
[..0...0...(1/3)ml^2]

Does this look correct?

it should be 1/12 ml^2 you are doing it about the center

Related to Calculating Moment of Inertia Tensor for Rod Along x Axis

1. What is moment of inertia tensor?

The moment of inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of how an object's mass is distributed around its axis of rotation. It is a 3x3 matrix that contains information about the object's mass and its distribution in three dimensions.

2. How is moment of inertia tensor calculated for a rod along the x axis?

The moment of inertia tensor for a rod along the x axis is calculated using the formula: I = ML2/12, where M is the mass of the rod and L is the length of the rod. This formula assumes that the rod has a uniform density and is rotating around its central axis.

3. Why is it important to calculate moment of inertia tensor?

Calculating the moment of inertia tensor is important in understanding an object's rotational motion and its resistance to changes in its rotation. It is also used in various engineering and physics applications such as designing structures, analyzing the stability of rotating objects, and predicting the behavior of complex systems.

4. How does the moment of inertia tensor change with respect to the axis of rotation?

The moment of inertia tensor changes with respect to the axis of rotation because it depends on the object's mass distribution. As the axis of rotation changes, the distribution of mass around that axis also changes, resulting in a different moment of inertia tensor.

5. What are the units of moment of inertia tensor?

The units of moment of inertia tensor are kg*m2. This is because the moment of inertia tensor is derived from the mass and length units of the object, and these units are multiplied together to calculate the moment of inertia tensor.