Moment of inertia tensor calculation and diagonalization

In summary, the rigid body may be represented by three point masses: m_1 = 1 at (1,-1,-2)m_2 = 2 at (-1,1,0)m_3 = 1 at (1,1,-2). The moment of inertia tensor is I_{ij} = m_{\beta}(\delta_{ij}r_{\beta}^2 - x_{i\beta}x_{j\beta}) and the eigenvalues are 11 and +/- sqrt(57)/2.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Not sure if this is advanced, so move it wherever.
A certain rigid body may be represented by three point masses:
m_1 = 1 at (1,-1,-2)
m_2 = 2 at (-1,1,0)
m_3 = 1 at (1,1,-2)

a) find the moment of inertia tensor
b) diagonalize the matrix obtaining the eigenvalues and the principal axes (as orthogonal vectors)

Homework Equations

##I_{ij} = m_{\beta}(\delta_{ij}r_{\beta}^2 - x_{i\beta}x_{j\beta})##
##\vec{A} = \vec{P^{-1}}\vec{D}\vec{P}##
##I_{ij}=I_{ji}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to drop the beta's, but each xyz is associated with the mass attached to the term.
##I_{00} = m_1(x_0^2 + x_1^2 +x_2^2 - x_0^2) + m_2(...) + m_3(...)##
## = 1(5) + 2(1) + 1(5) = 12##
##I_{01} = m_1(-x_0x_1) + m_2(...) +m_3(...)##
##= -1(-1) -2(-1) -1(1) = 2##
##I_{02} = m_1(-x_0x_2) + m_2(...) + m_3(...)##
## = -1(-2) -2(0) -1(1) = 4##
##I_{11} = m_1(x_0^2+x_2^2) + m_2(...) + m_3(...)##
##= 1(5) +2(1) +1(5) = 12##
##I_{12} = m_1(-x_1x_2) + m_2(...) +m_3(...)##
##= -1(2) +2(0) - 1(-2) = 0##
##I_{22} = m_1(x_0^2 +x_1^2) + m_2(...) +m_3(...)##
##=1(2) +2(2) +1(2) = 8##
This gives me
##\vec{I} = \left (
\begin{array}{ccc}
12 & 2 & 4 \\
2 & 12 & 0 \\
4 & 0 & 8 \\
\end{array} \right )##

and

##det(I_{\lambda}) = 0 = -\lambda^3 + 32\lambda^2 - 316\lambda + 928##
I don't even know how to solve that equation, and online calculators give
diagonal(5.35139, 11.2841, 15.3627)
Did I mess up? There's nothing about using a calculator, but I don't know how else to solve this. Did I mess up? I am pretty sure I'm not supposed to end up with a bunch of stupid numbers like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
For what it's worth, I got the same matrix you did.

Well, maybe I'll just roll with it then. I thought I checked all my algebra carefully. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use P^-1 D P to get the diagonal since he said "obtaining the eigenvectors", but maybe I'll just do row operations or something to avoid the decimals. Thanks.

Not sure but it looks as if you are using vectors with respect to the origin. Shoudn't you be using vectors relative to the center of mass of the system

instead (for mass 1) of x0 = 1 x1 = -1 and x2 = -2 in line 1 of your calculation: try x0 = 1 - x0cm = 1 - 0 = 1 x1 = -1 = x1 cm = -1 - 1/2 = -3/2 and x2 = -2 - x2 cm = -2 - -1 , etc.

this means a lot more calculation because you need to subtract off the center of masses but I think it will lead to a better answer. On the other hand, I'm glad I am not doing the calculation.

I ended up with eigenvalues 11; 11/2 +/- sqrt(57) / 2.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
That is a lot neater. I didn't think about doing that. I will keep it in mind for next time.

What is moment of inertia tensor calculation?

Moment of inertia tensor calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the distribution of mass in a rigid body. It takes into account the mass, shape, and orientation of an object to calculate how resistant it is to changes in rotation.

Why is moment of inertia tensor calculation important?

Moment of inertia tensor calculation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics to design and analyze the movement of objects.

How is moment of inertia tensor calculated?

Moment of inertia tensor is calculated by using the mass, position, and orientation of each infinitesimal element of an object and integrating them over the entire object. This results in a matrix that represents the object's moment of inertia tensor.

What is the diagonalization of a moment of inertia tensor?

Diagonalization of a moment of inertia tensor is the process of finding its principal moments of inertia, which are the three perpendicular axes that pass through the center of mass and have the maximum, minimum, and intermediate moments of inertia. This simplifies the tensor and makes it easier to analyze the object's rotational motion.

How is moment of inertia tensor diagonalized?

Moment of inertia tensor is diagonalized by using a mathematical technique called eigenvalue decomposition. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the tensor, which represent the principal moments of inertia and their corresponding axes. These values are then used to form a diagonalized tensor matrix.