Calculating moments of intertia

In summary, particle a has moment of inertia I_x = mr^2, I_y = 3mr^3, and I_z = 10/3 * mr^3 with respect to the x, y, and z axes respectively. For a second particle b located at x=r and y=-4r, the total moment of inertia for the two particles with respect to the y-axis is 10mr^2.
Linus Pauling
1. Find the moment of inertia I_x of particle a with respect to the x-axis (that is, if the x-axis is the axis of rotation), the moment of inertia I_y of particle a with respect to the y axis, and the moment of inertia I_z of particle a with respect to the z axis (the axis that passes through the origin perpendicular to both the x and y axes).

Particle a is located at x=3r, y=r, z=o

2. I = Integral(x^2 + y^2)

3. I_x = 1/3 * mr^3
I_y = 3mr^3
I_z = 10/3 * mr^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Surely the formula is I = m*r^2 ?
so I_x = mr^2.
No integration needed when you have a point charge. The particle is a distance r from the x-axis. Your r^3 answers don't even have the right units.

Ah, ok thanks. Now I am supposed to consider a second particle, b, located at x=r and y=-4r, and calculate the total moment of inertia for the two particles of this system, with the y-axis as the axis of rotation.

Why 10mr^2 not the answer? I obtain this my summing I_ya + I_yb = 9mr^2 + mr^2

This is is driving me crazy :cry:

10mr^2 looks good to me, assuming the two particles have the same mass.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of an object and the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass element.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia is often confused with mass, but they are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia is a measure of how that mass is distributed and how it affects an object's rotational motion.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining its moment of inertia. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with the same mass but a more compact shape.

5. Why is moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is an essential concept in physics because it is used to calculate an object's angular momentum and its rotational kinetic energy. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of objects in rotational motion, such as spinning tops or rotating planets.