Calculating momentum of soccer ball.

In summary, a soccer player with a mass of 0.425 kg kicks a soccer ball with a velocity of +26.8 m/s, resulting in a momentum of 11.4 kg(m/s). The change in momentum of the ball is also 11.4 N.s, and the impulse imparted to the ball is the same as the change in momentum. The units for change in momentum and impulse are N.s, or kg.m/s.
Glenboro

Homework Statement

A soccer player, kicking a soccer ball, gives the ball a velocity of +26.8 m/s. The mass of the ball is 0.425 kg, and the duration of the impact is 1.05  10–3 s.

a) What is the momentum of the soccer ball after it has been hit?

b) What is the change in momentum of the ball?

c) What is the impulse imparted to the ball?

Homework Equations

P = mv
(F*t)=P = mvf = mvi[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) p = mv
p = (0.425kg)(26.8m/s)
p = 11.4 kg(m/s)

b) (F*t)=P = mvf = mvi
= (0.425)(26.8) - (0.425)(0m/s)

c) this questions makes me unpleasant, I thought the change in momentum is same as impulse imparted to the ball. What's the difference between b) and c) ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) p = mv
p = (0.425kg)(26.8m/s)
p = 11.4 kg(m/s)
... so far so good: you should check your assumptions for the next bit...
b) (F*t)=P = mvf = mvi
= (0.425)(26.8) - (0.425)(0m/s)
... this answer is not finished.
You know the initial momentum is 0 and the final momentum is p (your label above) so the change in momentum must be p ##\Delta p = 11.4##kgm/s

I thought the change in momentum is same as impulse imparted to the ball.
That is correct.
What's the difference between b) and c) ?
What makes you think there should a difference?
Sometimes there is more than one way of saying the same thing, and the teacher want's to test that you understand this.

You can finesse the answer by working out the average force imparted to the ball too.

Simon Bridge said:
... so far so good: you should check your assumptions for the next bit...
... this answer is not finished.
You know the initial momentum is 0 and the final momentum is p (your label above) so the change in momentum must be p ##\Delta p = 11.4##kgm/s

That is correct. What makes you think there should a difference?
Sometimes there is more than one way of saying the same thing, and the teacher want's to test that you understand this.

You can finesse the answer by working out the average force imparted to the ball too.

Oops for b) it is same as the answer from a) but in different units 11.4 N/S

I will find more info about the difference between those two.

Notes:
Oops for b) it is same as the answer from a) but in different units 11.4 N/S
N/S is not the correct SI units for change in momentum or for specific impulse - you want N.s
Impuse is force times time ... so Newtons times seconds. "Seconds" is lowers case "s".
Upper case "S" is the SI symbol for the "siemen" - the unit of electrical conductance.

N.s are the same units as kg.m/s - the "N" stands for "kg.m/s2".
This should make sense because change in momentum should really be in momentum units just like change in time is in time units and change in length is in length units.

See also: http://www.periodni.com/international_system_of_units.html

Glenboro said:
d
Simon Bridge said:
Notes:
N/S is not the correct SI units for change in momentum or for specific impulse - you want N.s
Impuse is force times time ... so Newtons times seconds. "Seconds" is lowers case "s".
Upper case "S" is the SI symbol for the "siemen" - the unit of electrical conductance.

N.s are the same units as kg.m/s - the "N" stands for "kg.m/s2".
This should make sense because change in momentum should really be in momentum units just like change in time is in time units and change in length is in length units.

See also: http://www.periodni.com/international_system_of_units.html
I usually write down units correctly, but I often make an error when I'm typing into computer :P However, I will definitely check that website as it contains a lot of useful physics.

There's often a mark (in exams) associated with getting the right units so it's worth taking some time over.
The answers for all three are basically the same number with the same units ... only the context has changed.

Simon Bridge said:
There's often a mark (in exams) associated with getting the right units so it's worth taking some time over.
The answers for all three are basically the same number with the same units ... only the context has changed.
Yup, I
Simon Bridge said:
Thanks you for help, advice sir

1. How do you calculate the momentum of a soccer ball?

To calculate the momentum of a soccer ball, you will need to know the mass of the ball and its velocity. The formula for momentum is mass multiplied by velocity. Therefore, the momentum of a soccer ball is the product of its mass and its velocity.

2. What units are used to measure momentum?

Momentum is usually measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg-m/s) in the SI system. However, it can also be measured in other units such as gram-centimeters per second (g-cm/s) or pound-feet per second (lb-ft/s).

3. How does the speed of the soccer ball affect its momentum?

The speed of a soccer ball directly affects its momentum. The faster the ball is moving, the greater its momentum will be. This is because momentum is directly proportional to velocity. Therefore, the higher the velocity, the higher the momentum.

4. Does the direction of the soccer ball's movement affect its momentum?

Yes, the direction of a soccer ball's movement does affect its momentum. Momentum is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the soccer ball's momentum will be the same as the direction of its velocity.

5. How is momentum important in soccer?

Momentum is important in soccer because it helps determine the outcome of a game. The team with more momentum will have more control over the game and will be able to create scoring opportunities. Additionally, understanding momentum can help players improve their shooting and passing techniques to increase the speed of the ball and its momentum.