Calculating Nabla w V in General Relativity

In summary, we can write the vector field ##[V,W]## as the directional derivative for vector fields in the presence of a connection, but this connection cannot be specified using the commutator of vector fields. The torsion tensor is defined as the difference between the directional derivatives ##\nabla_X Y## and ##\nabla_Y X##, minus the commutator ##[X,Y]##. This implies that if the torsion tensor is zero, then the components of the connection must be symmetric on the lower two indices. This is why the two expressions ##[V,W]## and ##\nabla_V W - \nabla_W V## are not the same. The first one is
bres gres
TL;DR Summary
i try to understand

$$\nabla_{V} W =/ V(W)$$

but get stuck and i read some material online.
in the language of general relativity,we know that we can write
$$\nabla_{V}W $$
in this form such that:
$$\nabla_{V}W = = w^i d ( V^j e_j)/du^i = w^j e^i (V^j e_j ) = W( V)$$
where $$w^i * d/ (du^i) =W$$ will act on the vector V
where $$W = w^i d( ) /du^i $$ and W is a vector as a operator

but in non-torsion free form we know that $$\nabla_{w} V - \nabla_{v} W = [V,W] + T(v,w)$$

where T(v,w) is a torsion tensorwhich implied $$[V,W] =VW-WV = \nabla_{w} V - \nabla_{v}W$$
i just want to know why i am not correct in this derivation since i cannot prove they are NOT equal.
thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##W(V)## where ##W## and ##V## are vector fields does not make any sense. Vector fields are directional derivatives that act on scalar fields. In order to have a directional derivative for vector (or more generally, tensor) fields, you need to introduce a connection. This connection cannot be specified using the commutator of vector fields because it does not satisfy linearity in the direction, which is a condition for an affine connection:
$$
\nabla_{fV}W = f\nabla_V W.
$$
This is not satisfied for ##[V,W]##. The definition of the torsion tensor is that
$$
T(V,W) = \nabla_V W - \nabla_W V - [V,W].
$$

Likes PeroK
Orodruin said:
##W(V)## where ##W## and ##V## are vector fields does not make any sense. Vector fields are directional derivatives that act on scalar fields. In order to have a directional derivative for vector (or more generally, tensor) fields, you need to introduce a connection. This connection cannot be specified using the commutator of vector fields because it does not satisfy linearity in the direction, which is a condition for an affine connection:
$$
$$
This is not satisfied for ##[V,W]##. The definition of the torsion tensor is that
$$
$$

therefore what is ##[V,W]## itself ??
i think it is VW-WV actually

##[V,W]## is the vector field such that ##[V,W]f = V(W(f)) - W(V(f))## for all functions ##f##. This is sometimes (sloppily) denoted ##[V,W] = VW - WV##, but this is not the same as ##V(W) - W(V)##, which does not make sense.

Orodruin said:
##[V,W]## is the vector field such that ##[V,W]f = V(W(f)) - W(V(f))## for all functions ##f##. This is sometimes (sloppily) denoted ##[V,W] = VW - WV##, but this is not the same as ##V(W) - W(V)##, which does not make sense.
i see
i am watching the video in this link
in 4:37 the presenter expanded the vector in this form and i get confused...
because he let's $$ V(U)=v^i e_i(U^J e_j)$$
since this is what what we understand $$\nabla_{v} U$$ where $$\nabla_{v} U =
v^i e_i(U^j e_j)$$
i cannot see the difference between them
so what is the problem and i try to understand why there are the "same" in the 1 st step

Last edited:
i just fix the mistakes in my reply and the question
thank for your help :(

i am copying and pasting the Latex code from somewhere else and i try to modify them

Orodruin said:
$$
$$
$$
$$
do you mean [V,W] can be specified as it satisfy linearity in some direction? why?
i still try to understand what is [V,W] actually that can "link back" to the ##\nabla_V W - \nabla_W V##

i just think the [V,W] implied that the basis vectors are commutative but $$\nabla_V W - \nabla_W V $$ are not

is that correct in general case?

the main thing is i don't understand what makes [V,W] different from $$\nabla_V W - \nabla_W V $$ in the above calculation

Last edited:
By definition, torsion is a tensor of type (1, 2) given by ## T(X, Y) = \nabla_X Y - \nabla_Y X -\left[X, Y\right]##. If we assume the condition that ##T=0##, we get ##\nabla_X Y - \nabla_Y X =\left[X, Y\right]##. To see what this implies in terms of components, from the definition we have ##\left[X, Y\right]^i = X^j Y^{i}{}_{,j} - Y^j X^i{}_{,j}## and ##\nabla_X Y - \nabla_Y X = X^j Y^i{}_{;j} - Y^j X^i{}_{;j} = X^j Y^i{}_{,j}+X^j Y^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk} - Y^j X^i{}_{,j}-Y^j X^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk}##. Then ##T=0## implies ##X^j Y^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk}-Y^j X^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk}=X^j Y^k\left(\Gamma^i{}_{jk}-\Gamma^i{}_{kj}\right)=0##. We see that the torsion is zero if and only if the components of the connection are symmetric on the lower two indices.

Likes vanhees71 and bres gres
Cem said:
By definition, torsion is a tensor of type (1, 2) given by ## T(X, Y) = \nabla_X Y - \nabla_Y X -\left[X, Y\right]##. If we assume the condition that ##T=0##, we get ##\nabla_X Y - \nabla_Y X =\left[X, Y\right]##. To see what this implies in terms of components, from the definition we have ##\left[X, Y\right]^i = X^j Y^{i}{}_{,j} - Y^j X^i{}_{,j}## and ##\nabla_X Y - \nabla_Y X = X^j Y^i{}_{;j} - Y^j X^i{}_{;j} = X^j Y^i{}_{,j}+X^j Y^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk} - Y^j X^i{}_{,j}-Y^j X^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk}##. Then ##T=0## implies ##X^j Y^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk}-Y^j X^k \Gamma^i{}_{jk}=X^j Y^k\left(\Gamma^i{}_{jk}-\Gamma^i{}_{kj}\right)=0##. We see that the torsion is zero if and only if the components of the connection are symmetric on the lower two indices.

this makes sense to me
thank you !

However, note that torsion being equal to zero still does not mean that ##\nabla_V W## is equal to ##VW## as the title suggests. The former is a vector field (and therefore a first order derivative) whereas the second is a second order differential operator.

Likes bres gres

1. What is Nabla w V in general relativity?

Nabla w V is a mathematical operator used in general relativity to calculate the gradient of a scalar field, V. It represents the rate of change of V in all directions in space.

2. How is Nabla w V calculated?

Nabla w V is calculated by taking the partial derivative of V with respect to each coordinate axis and then combining them using vector addition. This can be represented as ∇wV = (∂V/∂x, ∂V/∂y, ∂V/∂z).

3. What is the physical significance of Nabla w V in general relativity?

Nabla w V is used to describe the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. It helps to determine the gravitational field and how it affects the motion of objects in the universe.

4. Can Nabla w V be used to solve equations in general relativity?

Yes, Nabla w V is an important tool in solving equations in general relativity. It is used to calculate the energy-momentum tensor, which is a key component in Einstein's field equations.

5. Are there any other applications of Nabla w V in physics?

Yes, Nabla w V is also used in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and fluid mechanics, to calculate the gradient of various quantities. It is a fundamental concept in vector calculus and has many applications in different fields of science.