Calculating Net Charge on a Spherical Conducting Shell

In summary, when 10C of charge are placed on a spherical conducting shell and a -3C point charge is placed at the center of the cavity, the net charge on the inner surface of the shell is +3C. This is determined by the fact that there is no electric field inside the conductor and thus the charge on the inner surface must be equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the enclosed charge from the cavity.
roflcopter

Homework Statement

10C of charge are placed on a spherical conducting shell. A -3C point charge is placed at the center of the cavity. The net charge in coulombs on the inner surface of the shell is...

A. -7
B. -3
C. 0
D. +3
E. +7

Homework Equations

[tex]
\oint \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{a} =\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I believe the E field in conducting shell is 0 and inside the cavity the field will also be zero. So, the charges must be on the inner and outer surfaces of the spherical conducting shell. It looks like I should be solving for Q(enclosed) in Gauss's law since that is the net charge but I'm not totally sure about that. I'm stuck now with what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

roflcopter said:
Well, I believe the E field in conducting shell is 0 and inside the cavity the field will also be zero. So, the charges must be on the inner and outer surfaces of the spherical conducting shell. I'm stuck now with what to do.

I think you almost have it.

Inside the sphere there is an e-field about the point charge though. But you are right there is no field in the conductor. (If there was, the electrons would rearrange themselves wouldn't they?)

So if there is no field in the conductor ... and you draw a Gaussian surface inside the conductor around whatever charge there may be on the inner surface, and Gauss Law is the net of the charge contained inside and ... oh did I mention already that the conductor had no field? ... so doesn't that mean then ...

LowlyPion said:
But you are right there is no field in the conductor. (If there was, the electrons would rearrange themselves wouldn't they?)

Yes they would rearrange themselves since E would be not be 0 and so there would be a force F=qE.

Now, since E=0 in the conductor then when solving for q in Gauss's law q is equal to zero. So, there should be an equal magnitude charge on the inner surface with an opposite sign (compared to the enclosed charge from the cavity) in order to balance things out.

So the answer looks like +3.

roflcopter said:
So the answer looks like +3.

I think we have a Bingo here. Go claim your prize.

Related to Calculating Net Charge on a Spherical Conducting Shell

1. How do you calculate the net charge on a spherical conducting shell?

The net charge on a spherical conducting shell can be calculated by adding up all the charges present on the shell. This includes both positive and negative charges. The sum of these charges will give the net charge on the shell.

2. What is the formula for calculating the net charge on a spherical conducting shell?

The formula for calculating the net charge on a spherical conducting shell is Q = 4πε0r1V1, where Q is the net charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, r1 is the radius of the shell, and V1 is the potential of the shell.

3. Can the net charge on a spherical conducting shell be negative?

Yes, the net charge on a spherical conducting shell can be negative. This can happen if there are more negative charges present on the shell than positive charges. The net charge can also be zero if there are equal numbers of positive and negative charges on the shell.

4. How does the net charge on a spherical conducting shell affect the electric field inside and outside the shell?

The net charge on a spherical conducting shell does not affect the electric field inside the shell, as the electric field inside a conductor is always zero. However, the net charge does affect the electric field outside the shell, as the electric field strength is directly proportional to the net charge on the shell.

5. Can the net charge on a spherical conducting shell be changed?

Yes, the net charge on a spherical conducting shell can be changed by adding or removing charges from the shell. This can be done by connecting the shell to a power source or by physically adding or removing charges. The net charge can also be changed by changing the potential of the shell.