Calculating Net Electric Flux through Submarine Hull: E&M Homework Question

In summary, E&M (electromagnetism) is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles. An E&M homework question involves applying principles and equations to solve problems related to electric and magnetic fields, electric currents, and electromagnetic radiation. Common topics covered in E&M homework include Coulomb's Law, Gauss's Law, electric potential, electric circuits, magnetism, and electromagnetic waves. Strategies for solving E&M homework include identifying information, drawing diagrams, and using relevant equations. Resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups are available for help with E&M homework. It is important to seek help if needed, as understanding E&M is crucial for success in many fields of science and engineering.
JustHere155

Homework Statement

The following charges are located inside a submarine: 2.00 µC, -9.00 µC, 27.0 µC, and -54.0 µC.
(a) Calculate the net electric flux through the hull of the submarine.

Homework Equations

Flux = q/e0

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the net charge, which happens to be -34e-6. So, I plugged the numbers into the equation and I keep getting the wrong answer. My answer was 3841807.91 N*m^2/C.
I am running out of ideas

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the sign. The number is correct, but you need to give it with three significant digits.

ehild

Related to Calculating Net Electric Flux through Submarine Hull: E&M Homework Question

1. What is E&M?

E&M stands for electromagnetism, which is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles. It includes topics such as electric and magnetic fields, electric currents, and electromagnetic radiation.

2. What is an E&M homework question?

An E&M homework question is a problem or exercise that involves applying the principles and equations of electromagnetism to solve for a specific quantity or scenario. It may involve calculating electric or magnetic fields, finding the direction and magnitude of forces, or analyzing circuit diagrams.

3. What are some common topics covered in E&M homework?

Some common topics covered in E&M homework include Coulomb's Law, Gauss's Law, electric potential, electric circuits, magnetism, and electromagnetic waves. These topics are essential in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles and their interactions.

4. What are some strategies for solving E&M homework questions?

Some strategies for solving E&M homework questions include identifying the given information, drawing diagrams, applying relevant equations, and checking your answer for reasonableness. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and use units to keep track of your calculations.

5. What resources are available for help with E&M homework?

There are many resources available for help with E&M homework, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your instructor or TA may also be able to provide additional guidance and clarification. It is important to seek help if you are struggling with a concept or problem, as understanding E&M is crucial for success in many fields of science and engineering.