Curious about the answer in this voltage question

In summary, a uniformly charged insulating rod of length 10.0 cm bent into a semicircle with a total charge of -9.00 µC has an electric potential at the center of the semicircle found by plugging the radius and charge into the relevant equation. Direction is irrelevant in finding the potential, as it is a scalar quantity. The cancellation of electric fields from the top and bottom charges does not affect the potential, which is found by summing the potentials due to all elements of the circumference.
horsedeg

Homework Statement

A uniformly charged insulating rod of length 10.0 cm is bent into the shape of a semicircle as shown in the figure below. The rod has a total charge of -9.00 µC. Find the electric potential at O, the center of the semicircle.
25-p-040.gif

Homework Equations

V=keQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found the answer. It is as simple as plugging in the radius and charge into the relevant equation I wrote. However, why? I don't really understand. At first I was thinking that I have to find the electric field or something and integrate using that one formula, but why is it this simple? Is direction completely irrelevant?

Physics news on Phys.org
horsedeg said:
Is direction completely irrelevant?
Yes. Electric potential is a scalar quantity.

cnh1995 said:
Yes. Electric potential is a scalar quantity.
I suppose that much should be obvious to me. Let me rephrase. Is there no "counteraction" between the top and bottom? Or am I having some sort of misunderstanding?

horsedeg said:
Is there no "counteraction" between the top and bottom? Or am I having some sort of misunderstanding?
The charge is uniformly distributed along the ring. I am not sure I understand what you mean by "counteraction". Electric "fields" from the top and bottom charges will cancel each other directly, if that's what you are thinking of.

cnh1995 said:
Electric "fields" from the top and bottom charges will cancel each other directly, if that's what you are thinking of.
Yes this is what I'm thinking of. I was thinking the top and bottom would "cancel" but I guess that's just a misunderstanding of how voltage works?

horsedeg said:
Yes this is what I'm thinking of. I was thinking the top and bottom would "cancel" but I guess that's just a misunderstanding of how voltage works?
Electric "fields" will cancel because their directions are opposite. Potentials will not cancel as they have no direction. They will add up (or subtract in case of opposite charges).

To be more accurate, the electric field in O will cancel only in the vertical direction . In the horizontal direction there will be electric field in O.

But we are interested in potential. The potential from an element ##dl## of the circumference will be will be ##K\frac{\rho dl}{r}##, where ##\rho=\frac{-9}{10}## charge density and ##\pi r=10## the radius r, and to find the total potential we just sum all the potentials due to all ##dl##s (since direction is irrelevant as you have pointed out cause potential is scalar, we don't take into account the various angles of the various ##dl##s with the horizontal in order to put sine or cosine terms).

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in units of volts (V) and represents the force that moves electric charges through a wire.

2. How is voltage calculated?

Voltage is calculated by dividing the amount of energy transferred (in joules) by the amount of charge (in coulombs). The formula for voltage is V = E/Q, where V is voltage, E is energy, and Q is charge.

3. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are two different properties of electricity. Voltage is a measure of the potential energy that causes charges to flow, while current is the rate at which charges flow. Voltage is measured in volts (V) and current is measured in amperes (A).

4. Why is voltage important in electricity?

Voltage is important in electricity because it is the driving force that allows electric charges to move through a circuit. Without voltage, there would be no movement of electrons and no flow of electricity. Voltage also determines the amount of energy that can be transferred in an electrical circuit.

5. What are some common sources of voltage?

Some common sources of voltage include batteries, power plants, and generators. These sources create a potential difference between two points, which allows for the flow of electricity. Other sources of voltage include solar panels, wind turbines, and fuel cells.