Calculating Net Force on an Electron using E(r) and mx

In summary, you have to find the net force on the particle by multiplying the electric field and the mass of the particle. You then have to find the acceleration of the particle due to the net force.
CBA
Homework Statement
An electron is shot at an initial velocity V0=V0ex into an inhomogeneous electric field, that has a width L. Electric field strength is E(r)=E0*sin(2pi*x/L)*ey(ex and ey being vectors), the force acting on the electron is given by: F=-e*E(r). Calculate the net force acting on the electron, the v(t) ,r(t) function in the domain [0, L/V0]and its vertical displacement.
Relevant Equations
F=m*a
I just insterted E(r) into F to get the net force. After that I wrote mx''=Fnet and I don't know how to proceed (supposing that's the right way).

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @CBA , :welcome: !

CBA said:
I just insterted E(r) into F to get the net force.
Which way is it pointing ?

A drawing might be helpful ... :smile:

Likes CBA
BvU said:
Hello @CBA , :welcome: !

Which way is it pointing ?

A drawing might be helpful ... :smile:

Attachments

• 16113282676862206077488730455172.jpg
    16113282676862206077488730455172.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 101
While the electric field does not vary with time, the particle experiences the changing magnitude of the electric field at different times as it moves through it. This introduces a time dependence in the force equation. Try to derive the time dependant force on the particle.

Likes Delta2
Good start. However:
  • Where is ## x=0## and where is ##x=L##
  • You draw all ##|\vec E|\;## equal
  • You don't answer which way ##\vec F_{\text{net}}\; ## is pointing

I think that the "X" in E(r) is the displacement in the x-direction, which is simply v0*t and I just instert it into the formula for F,which is =mx'' and it's simply math from there.

CBA said:
the formula for F,which is =mx''
Almost, but not quite -- or better: definitely not.

1. The formula is ##\vec F = m\vec a## : the acceleration is in the direction of the force

2. The force acting on the electron is given by: ##\vec F=-e\;\vec E(\vec r)## : the force is in opposite direction wrt the field

3. E(r)=E0*sin(2pi*x/L)*ey should be read as $$\vec E(\vec r)=E_0\,\sin\left ({2\pi\,x\over L}\right ) e_y$$with ##e_y = \hat y## , the unit vector in the y-direction !

As you see, a lot can go wrong if you don't pay attention to the vector character !

How about an update of the drawing ?

##\ ##

Likes CBA and Frabjous
Oh yes I forgot that it's in the Y-direction...

Attachments

• 1611409881091757463841328842081.jpg
    1611409881091757463841328842081.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 93
Bertter than nothing, but a lot of room for improvement.
First of all
BvU said:
  • Where is ##{\bf x}## ## =0## and where is ##{\bf x}## ##= L\ ##
(you seem to think ##L## is in the y-direction)

And I would show only one of the two, not both. On a continuous y-axis

And my neck hurts from leaning over by ##\pi/2## :mad:

So how are we doing with this nice exercise ?

1. What is the definition of displacement of an electron?

The displacement of an electron refers to the distance traveled by an electron from its initial position to its final position. It is a measure of the change in position of an electron.

2. How is the displacement of an electron calculated?

The displacement of an electron can be calculated by subtracting the initial position of the electron from its final position. This is represented by the formula: Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

3. What is the unit of measurement for displacement of an electron?

The unit of measurement for displacement of an electron is meters (m). This is the standard unit of length in the International System of Units (SI).

4. Can the displacement of an electron be negative?

Yes, the displacement of an electron can be negative. This indicates that the electron has moved in the opposite direction of the initial position. A positive displacement indicates movement in the same direction as the initial position.

5. How is the displacement of an electron related to its velocity?

The displacement of an electron is directly related to its velocity. The higher the velocity of an electron, the greater its displacement will be in a given time. This relationship is represented by the equation: v = Δx/Δt, where v is the velocity, Δx is the displacement, and Δt is the time taken for the displacement to occur.