Calculating Nuclear Fusion Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy released by fusing a tritium and deuterium atom together using a specific equation. The correct value should be around 17.58 MeV, but the speaker's calculation yielded 18.1 MeV. Further discussion reveals that the incorrect use of atomic mass rather than the nucleus mass was the cause of the discrepancy. The speaker also provides sources supporting the correct value.
frazzle96
Hi,

I'm doing some coursework on nuclear fusion, and am trying to calculate the energy released by fusing a tritium and a deuterium atom together. I used the equation:

( Σ mass (reactants) - Σ mass (products) ) x 931.5 MeV/amu = Binding energy.

and Deuterium + Tritium = Helium + neutron

I know the value should be about 17.58 MeV, however when I did it it came out as about 18.1.

The values I used are Triton: 3.0160492u , Deuteron: 2.0135532u , Helium nucleus: 4.0015061u and a neutron: 1.0086649u.

Thanks in advance

Frazer

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not advanced physics. Moving thread.

Anyway, what source is telling you that the answer should be 17.58 MeV?

Sorry, posted it in the wrong place and couldn't figure out how to delete it, turns out I was using the tritium atomic mass rather than the mass of the nucleus so sorted now.

And these sources:

http://www.kutl.kyushu-u.ac.jp/seminar/MicroWorld3_E/3Part3_E/3P34_E/nuclear_fusion_E.htm

https://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclopedia/f/fusion.htm

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked...ion-reactions-for-controlled-power-generation

etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is nuclear fusion energy?

Nuclear fusion energy is a process in which two atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

How is nuclear fusion energy calculated?

The energy released by a nuclear fusion reaction can be calculated using Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E is the energy released, m is the mass of the reactants, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows the direct relationship between mass and energy.

What are the factors that affect the amount of energy produced in a nuclear fusion reaction?

The amount of energy produced in a nuclear fusion reaction depends on several factors, including the type of nuclei involved, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the amount of fuel present. Additionally, the efficiency of the reaction can be affected by factors such as confinement and loss of energy through radiation.

What is the potential of nuclear fusion energy as a source of power?

Nuclear fusion energy has the potential to be a nearly limitless source of clean and sustainable energy. It produces no greenhouse gases, produces very little radioactive waste, and uses abundant resources as fuel. However, it is still a complex and challenging process to harness this energy on a large scale.

How is nuclear fusion energy being researched and developed?

Scientists around the world are researching and developing different methods for achieving and controlling nuclear fusion reactions. This includes using magnetic fields to confine plasma, as well as using lasers and other high-energy devices. Additionally, there are several international collaborations and projects dedicated to advancing fusion technology and bringing it closer to reality.