Calculating Object Location for Converging Lens with M=-1

In summary, the converging lens has a focal length of f and a magnification of -1 when the object is placed at a distance 2f from the lens. This can also be derived using the lens equation 1/S + 1/S' = 1/f for the case where the object distance (S) is equal to the image distance (S').
Sall1230

Homework Statement

" A converging lens has a focal length f. The object location at magnification equal to -1 is? "

Homework Equations

m = -S'/S

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my solution:

M= -1 , S=??
M= -S'/S
-1 = -S'/S
S= -S'/-1
S=S'
And from case 2 that says if an object is placed at 2F the image will be inverted, real , and have the same size as the object.
And from the last sentence ( backed up with my conclusion of S=S' ) the object is placed at 2F.
Is my answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct if by 2F you mean the object should be placed at a distance 2f from the lens, where f is the focal length of the lens. The symbol F is usually used to label a focal point, so 2F doesn't have much meaning.

I'm not familiar with the "case 2" statement which apparently gives the answer immediately.

For practice, see if you can get the answer without "case 2". Use the lens equation 1/S + 1/S' = 1/f for the case where S = S'.

1. How do I calculate the object location for a converging lens with a magnification of -1?

The object location can be calculated by using the formula, do = di/(m+1), where do is the object distance, di is the image distance, and m is the magnification. In this case, since the magnification is -1, the formula becomes do = di/0, which is undefined. This means that there is no specific object distance for this lens and magnification.

2. Can the object be placed at any distance from the lens to achieve a magnification of -1?

No, the object must be placed at a specific distance from the lens in order to achieve a magnification of -1. This distance can be calculated using the formula mentioned in the previous question. If the object is placed too close or too far from the lens, the magnification will not be -1.

3. What happens to the image when the object distance is equal to the focal length of the lens?

When the object distance is equal to the focal length of the lens, the image will be formed at infinity. This is because the light rays from the object will be parallel to each other after passing through the lens, and will converge at a point at infinity.

4. Is the image formed by a converging lens with a magnification of -1 real or virtual?

The image formed by a converging lens with a magnification of -1 is real. This means that the image can be projected onto a screen and can be seen by the naked eye. Virtual images, on the other hand, cannot be projected onto a screen and can only be seen through a lens or mirror.

5. How does the object location affect the size of the image formed by a converging lens with a magnification of -1?

The object location does not affect the size of the image formed by a converging lens with a magnification of -1. The size of the image is solely determined by the magnification, which in this case is -1. This means that the image will be the same size as the object, but will be inverted.