Image Distance with two concave lenses

In summary, the object is located at -100 cm from the focal point of the first lens, and +100 cm from the focal point of the second lens.
Jende

Homework Statement

An object 1.25 cm tall is placed 100 cm in front of a convex lens with a focal length of magnitude 50 cm. A concave lens with a focal length of magnitude 20 cm is placed 90 cm beyond the first lens. Where is the final image located?

Homework Equations

(1/s)+(1/s')=1/f
s= object distance from lens
s'= image distance from lens
f= focal length

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to start so I tried find the image distance for the first lens.
(1/100cm)+(1/s')=(1/50cm) => (1/100cm)-(1/50cm)=(-1/100cm)=(1/s') => s'= -100

After this i got stuck because I wasn't sure what to do when the image distance is behind the second lens.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jende said:

Homework Statement

An object 1.25 cm tall is placed 100 cm in front of a convex lens with a focal length of magnitude 50 cm. A concave lens with a focal length of magnitude 20 cm is placed 90 cm beyond the first lens. Where is the final image located?

Homework Equations

(1/s)+(1/s')=1/f
s= object distance from lens
s'= image distance from lens
f= focal length

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure where to start so I tried find the image distance for the first lens.
(1/100cm)+(1/s')=(1/50cm) => (1/100cm)-(1/50cm)=(-1/100cm)=(-1/s') => s'= +100
You have sign errors here.
Jende said:
After this i got stuck because I wasn't sure what to do when the image distance is behind the second lens.

Thanks in advance.
Take the object distance negative.

Likes Jende
The image formed by the first lens acts as the object for the second lens. However, when you apply the thin-lens equation for the second lens you'll need to make sure that the object distance is the distance measured from the second lens, which you can do by taking into account the distance between the two lenses.

Be careful of the signs. As ehild says, you have an error in your first calculation.

Likes Jende
Being behind he second lens this image is then a virtual object for the second lens. The light rays are still entering the second lens, but they seem to originate from a object located on the "wrong" side of the lens. The rays will therefore not form the object and is thus a virtual object for the second lens.

Likes Jende
Ok thanks a lot. This was giving me a lot of frustration.

1. What is the formula for calculating image distance with two concave lenses?

The formula for calculating image distance with two concave lenses is: 1/f = 1/d1 + 1/d2, where f is the focal length of the lenses and d1 and d2 are the distances from the object to the first and second lenses, respectively.

2. Can the image distance be negative with two concave lenses?

Yes, the image distance can be negative with two concave lenses. This means that the image is formed on the same side as the object, and it is a virtual image.

3. How does the distance between the two lenses affect the image distance?

The distance between the two lenses, also known as the lens separation, affects the image distance by changing the amount of refraction and magnification of the light rays passing through the lenses. A larger lens separation will result in a larger image distance.

4. What is the difference between image distance and focal length?

Image distance is the distance between the lens and the location where the image is formed, while focal length is the distance between the center of the lens and the point where parallel light rays converge after passing through the lens. In other words, image distance is the distance from the lens to the image, while focal length is the distance from the lens to the point where the image is formed.

5. How does the curvature of the lenses affect image distance with two concave lenses?

The curvature of the lenses, also known as the lens power, affects image distance by changing the amount of refraction of light passing through the lenses. A more curved lens will have a shorter focal length and therefore a larger image distance, while a less curved lens will have a longer focal length and a smaller image distance.