Calculating Orbital Radius from Period: Solving for r without Velocity

In summary, to find the radius of orbit in meters for a new planet with a year of 3.44578 Earth years, you can use the formula r = (vt)/(2pi) and Kepler's third law, which states that T^2 = r^3. By setting up appropriate ratios and using the Earth's orbital radius as a unit of measure, you can find the required distance of the unknown in terms of AU and then convert it to meters afterwards. In this case, the radius of orbit is approximately 3.41 x 10^11 meters.
joel amos

Homework Statement

If a new planet has a year of 3.44578 Earth years, what is its radius of orbit in meters if Earth's orbital radius is 149,597,870,700 meters?

Formula: r = (vt)/(2pi)

How can I use this without velocity?

All help is appreciated as I'm not sure how to go about this: forumlas, explanations, answers, etc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the name Kepler ring a bell? :smile:

gneill said:
Does the name Kepler ring a bell? :smile:

I'm not sure whether answering yes or no will yield better results. The name is familiar, but it doesn't tell me much.

Is it this:
keplers_law_equation_radius.png

If so, I don't have the planet's mass...

Last edited:
You have a defective problem statement. The radius of the Earth itself is 6.4*10^6 meters. The radius of Earth's orbit around the sun is considerably larger: 149,600,000 kilometers.

joel amos said:
I'm not sure whether answering yes or no will yield better results. The name is familiar, but it doesn't tell me much.
You should have been introduced to Kepler's three laws of planetary motion by now, if the content of this current problem is any indication. If not, a quick search of your text or the web will turn up the information -- it very well known.
Is it this:
keplers_law_equation_radius.png

If so, I don't have the planet's mass...
That's a rearrangement of Newton's version of Kepler's third law, derived from his law of universal gravitation. Yes, it involves actual distances and masses and Newton's gravitational constant and so on. But there's an easier way...

Look to the original Kepler version; the early astronomers had no idea what the masses of the planets were (nor the actual scale of the solar system), so everything was worked out by ratios.

SteamKing said:
You have a defective problem statement. The radius of the Earth itself is 6.4*10^6 meters. The radius of Earth's orbit around the sun is considerably larger: 149,600,000 kilometers.

That's probably a transcription error on my part. How would I attempt this if the Earth's radius was given?

gneill said:
You should have been introduced to Kepler's three laws of planetary motion by now, if the content of this current problem is any indication. If not, a quick search of your text or the web will turn up the information -- it very well known.

That's a rearrangement of Newton's version of Kepler's third law, derived from his law of universal gravitation. Yes, it involves actual distances and masses and Newton's gravitational constant and so on. But there's an easier way...

Look to the original Kepler version; the early astronomers had no idea what the masses of the planets were (nor the actual scale of the solar system), so everything was worked out by ratios.

Oo, could it be period squared = radius cubed?

SteamKing said:

Ha! Well done SteamKing. I missed that problem statement slip-up.

Probably easiest to just call the Earth's orbital radius 1AU to make the ratios easy to deal with. Convert results to meters afterwards, if required.

joel amos said:
Oo, could it be period squared = radius cubed?
Indeed :smile:

Can you set up the appropriate ratios to solve your problem?

Last edited:
joel amos said:
That's probably a transcription error on my part. How would I attempt this if the Earth's radius was given?

I'd ignore the value (since it's obviously specious, having nothing to do with the orbit size), and employ "common knowledge" of the Earth's orbital radius. Since I know that ratios will be involved, I'd first use the Earth's orbital radius as a unit of measure. Thus for the Earth's orbit, R = 1AU (the Astronomical Unit is the common term used).

Once the dust settles on the ratio math and you have the required distance of the unknown in terms of AU, you can convert AU units to meters or kilometers or whatever afterwards as required.

gneill said:
I'd ignore the value (since it's obviously specious, having nothing to do with the orbit size), and employ "common knowledge" of the Earth's orbital radius. Since I know that ratios will be involved, I'd first use the Earth's orbital radius as a unit of measure. Thus for the Earth's orbit, R = 1AU (the Astronomical Unit is the common term used).

Once the dust settles on the ratio math and you have the required distance of the unknown in terms of AU, you can convert AU units to meters or kilometers or whatever afterwards as required.

Alright, so here's what I did:

T^2 = r^3
(3.44578 years)^2 =
11.873 years^2 = 11.873 AU^3
³√(11.873 AU^3) = 2.28 AU
2.28 AU * (149,597,870,700 m /1 AU) =

3.41 x 10^11 m

Is this correct?

Sure, that'll do it.

gneill said:
Sure, that'll do it.

Thanks for all the help!

Related to Calculating Orbital Radius from Period: Solving for r without Velocity

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of an orbit given its period?

The formula for calculating the radius of an orbit given its period is r = √ (G * M * T2) / (4 * π2), where r is the radius in meters, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10-11 m3/kg*s2), M is the mass of the central body in kilograms, and T is the period in seconds.

2. What is the relationship between the radius of an orbit and its period?

The radius of an orbit is directly proportional to the square root of its period. This means that as the period increases, the radius also increases, and vice versa.

3. How does the mass of the central body affect the radius of an orbit?

The mass of the central body has a direct impact on the radius of an orbit. The higher the mass of the central body, the larger the radius of the orbit will be. This is because a larger mass exerts a stronger gravitational force, which requires a larger radius for an object to maintain a stable orbit.

4. Can the radius of an orbit be calculated if the period is unknown?

No, the radius of an orbit cannot be calculated if the period is unknown. The period is a crucial component of the formula for calculating the radius. Without knowing the period, it is not possible to accurately determine the radius of an orbit.

5. How is the radius of an orbit related to the speed of the orbiting object?

The radius of an orbit is inversely proportional to the speed of the orbiting object. This means that as the radius increases, the speed decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula v = √ (G * M / r), where v is the speed in meters per second, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the central body, and r is the radius of the orbit.