Finding the radius of the satellite's circular orbit

In summary, a 500 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force of 3000 N, while moving in a circular orbit around the earth. To answer question part a), the radius of the orbit is 8.15 x 106 meters. To answer question part b), the speed of the satellite is 148859.74 meters per second, and the period of the orbit is 2.4149 hours.
Specter

Homework Statement

My title was supposed to say "Finding the radius of the satellites circular orbit" but I can't seem to edit it.
<< Mentor Note -- Title fixed for you >>

A 500 kg satellite experiences a gravitational force of 3000 N, while moving in a circular orbit around the earth.

a) Find the radius of the circular orbit.
b)Find the speed of the satellite.
c)Find the period of the orbit.

Homework Equations

r=√Gm1m2/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the question set up properly but I can't figure out how to solve it on paper because my calculator won't do it. I keep getting a different answer than what the correct one is.

Part a)

r=√Gm1m2/g
r=√(6.67 x 10-11)(5.98 x 1024)(500)/3000

So the correct answer (at least what others are getting) is 8.15 x 106 but I am getting 148859.74. I've tried putting it into my calculator a few different ways but I can't get the right answer. Do I have to do this on paper? If so, how?

b) I need to find the answer from part a to solve part b, but I know how to set up the question.

v2=Gme/r
v=√Gme/r

c) I am not sure how to do part c, but I think I need to solve part b before I can do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At a guess, you are not using parentheses correctly in typing into the calculator. You certainly have not used them correctly in your post.
Please repost your equations with the right usage.

haruspex said:
At a guess, you are not using parentheses correctly in typing into the calculator. You certainly have not used them correctly in your post.
Please repost your equations with the right usage.

r=√Gm1m2/g
r=√[(6.67 x 10-11)(5.98 x 1024)(500)]/3000

Is this better?

Specter said:
r=√Gm1m2/g
Taken literally, that means r=(√G)1m2/g. I don't think that is what you mean.
Also, your g appears to stand for a force.
Specter said:
r=√[(6.67 x 10-11)(5.98 x 1024)(500)]/3000
and that is wrong.
Go back to the basic gravitational equation, F= etc., and start again.

1. How do you calculate the radius of a satellite's circular orbit?

The radius of a satellite's circular orbit can be calculated using the formula r = (G * M * T^2) / (4 * π^2), where r is the radius, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet being orbited, and T is the orbital period of the satellite.

2. Why is it important to know the radius of a satellite's circular orbit?

Knowing the radius of a satellite's circular orbit is important for understanding its position and trajectory in space. It also allows us to calculate the satellite's speed and the amount of energy required for the satellite to maintain its orbit.

3. Can the radius of a satellite's circular orbit change?

Yes, the radius of a satellite's circular orbit can change due to factors such as atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other objects, and adjustments made by ground control. However, the orbit will always remain circular.

4. How is the radius of a satellite's circular orbit affected by its mass?

The mass of a satellite does not affect the radius of its circular orbit. This is because the formula for calculating the radius does not include the satellite's mass, only the mass of the planet being orbited.

5. What are some methods used to measure the radius of a satellite's circular orbit?

There are several methods used to measure the radius of a satellite's circular orbit, including radar ranging, tracking the satellite's position from the ground, and using the Doppler effect to measure changes in the satellite's velocity. These methods allow scientists to accurately determine the radius of a satellite's orbit and make any necessary adjustments.