Calculating Orbital Speed Using Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, the dwarf planet Pluto orbits very elliptically with its nearest and farthest distances from the Sun being 30 AU and 50 AU, respectively. Its orbital speed at aphelion is 4 km/s and using the conservation of angular momentum, we can calculate that its speed at perihelion is approximately 6.66 km/s. Therefore, the answer to the given question is D) between 5-7 km/s.
lc99

Homework Statement

The dwarf planet Pluto orbits very ellipticaly... Pluto's nearest (perihelion) and farthest (apihelion) distances from the Sun are 30 AU and 50 AU, respectively. (One AU or Astronomical Unit=the mean distance from the center of the Earth to Astronomical Unit = the mean distance from the center of the Earth to the center of the Sun). If it orbital speed at apihelion is 4 km/s, how fast is the pluto moving when at perihelion.

Homework Equations

a) between 1km/s and 3km//s
b) between 7km/s and 9km/s
c) between 5km/s ad 7km/s
d)b/w 5-7 km/s
e) b/w 3-5km/s

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is D) 5-7 km/s

I followed the conservation of angular momentum IW = IW

L at aphelion is = IW = MR^2W = MR^2(V/R) = MRV = 4*50*4=600
L at periphelion = IW = MRV = 4*30*v

set L at aphelion = L at periphelion and i solved for v, so v of periphelion is about 6.66, so the answer is D)

Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:
about 6.66, so the answer is D)
Yes, but I think you meant 4*50*4=800.

Likes lc99
haruspex said:
Yes, but I think you meant 4*50*4=800.
Opps. Sorry about that. Thanks!

What is momentum in relation to planet orbit?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account its mass and velocity. In the context of planet orbit, momentum refers to the force that keeps a planet in its orbital path around the sun.

How does momentum affect a planet's orbit?

Momentum plays a crucial role in maintaining a stable orbit for a planet. The larger the planet's momentum, the more difficult it is for outside forces to disrupt its orbit. In addition, momentum helps to balance the gravitational pull of the sun, allowing the planet to maintain a consistent distance from the sun.

Can a planet's momentum change over time?

Yes, a planet's momentum can change due to external forces such as gravitational pull from other celestial bodies or collisions with other objects. However, the overall momentum of a planet typically remains constant unless a significant event occurs.

How is momentum calculated for a planet in orbit?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the planet by its velocity. In the case of a planet in orbit, the velocity is determined by its speed and direction of travel around the sun. This calculation can be used to compare the momentum of different planets in our solar system.

Why is momentum important to understanding planet orbit?

Momentum is important because it helps us understand the forces that keep planets in their orbital paths. It also allows us to predict and explain the behavior of planets in our solar system and beyond. Without considering momentum, our understanding of planet orbit would be incomplete.