Calculating Paint Usage on a Cube with Differentials

In summary, a cube with an edge of 10 in was covered with a coat of paint of thickness 0.02 in. The equation for the total surface area of the cube was solved. The volume before and after painting was found to be 10.023 - 103 = 6.012008 cubic inches.
Martin Spasov

Homework Statement

A coat of paint of thickness 0.02 in is applied to the faces of a cube whose edge is 10 in, thereby producing a slightly larger cube. Use differentials to find approximately the number of cubic inches of paint used. Also find the exact amount used by computing volumes before and after painting.

Homework Equations

V = x3

f'(x) = 3x2

dy = f'(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

dy = 3*102*0.02 = 6

However the actual solution is 12 (from the answers). Even when doing it manually :

6 * 102 * 0.02 = 12

When I compute the volume before and after I get the same result as before :

10.023 - 103 = 6.012008

I can clearly see that there is factor of 2 difference, but why ? I used the formula and did not get the solution, what exactly was not ok ?

p.s. first post, if I did something wrong, please point it out :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Martin Spasov said:

Homework Statement

A coat of paint of thickness 0.02 in is applied to the faces of a cube whose edge is 10 in, thereby producing a slightly larger cube. Use differentials to find approximately the number of cubic inches of paint used. Also find the exact amount used by computing volumes before and after painting.

Homework Equations

V = x3

f'(x) = 3x2

dy = f'(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

dy = 3*102*0.02 = 6

However the actual solution is 12 (from the answers). Even when doing it manually :

6 * 102 * 0.02 = 12

When I compute the volume before and after I get the same result as before :

10.023 - 103 = 6.012008

I can clearly see that there is factor of 2 difference, but why ? I used the formula and did not get the solution, what exactly was not ok ?

p.s. first post, if I did something wrong, please point it out :)

For sides of length ##x## the total surface area is ##A = 6 x^2##, because there are 6 faces of area ##x^2## each. What is ##dA##?

Likes Martin Spasov
By which amount of ##dx## did you increase an edge?

Likes Martin Spasov and vela
fresh_42 said:
By which amount of ##dx## did you increase an edge?
I'm leaving that up to the OP to think about.

Likes Martin Spasov
Ray Vickson said:
I'm leaving that up to the OP to think about.
That's how it was meant. You beat me while I was typing it. But have you noticed that the OP now has solutions in 1,2 and 3 dimensions? Sorry, someone deleted the 3-dimensional one.
Edit: What a pitty. It was a funny situation.

Likes Martin Spasov
Thanks guys, the problem was hat i was equating dx to 0.02 and not to 0.04. Now everything worked out fine :)

1. What is a differential?

A differential is a mathematical concept that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It is often used in calculus to analyze and model the behavior of curves and surfaces.

2. What are the first steps in understanding differentials?

The first step in understanding differentials is to have a strong foundation in calculus, specifically in the concept of limits. It is also important to understand the basic properties and rules of derivatives, as differentials are closely related to derivatives.

3. How are differentials used in real life?

Differentials are used in many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, economics, and biology. They can be used to model the growth and decay of populations, analyze the motion of objects, and optimize processes in various industries.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and a differential?

A differential is the infinitesimal change in the value of a function, while a derivative is the instantaneous rate of change of a function. In other words, a differential is the output of a derivative function.

5. How can I solve problems involving differentials?

To solve problems involving differentials, you need to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and properties of derivatives. It is also helpful to practice using differentials in various scenarios to improve your problem-solving skills.