Calculating Pendulum Period: A Challenge!

In summary, In summary, the small angle approximation may not be accurate for calculating the period of a pendulum, and there may not even be a period if the pendulum is placed directly upward.
Ja4Coltrane
I wanted to calculate the period of a pendulum withould the small angle approximation. I carried out the calculation and came out with a rather ugly integration which was the same as the one wikipedia had so I assume I did it right. The answer I got was:

T=4[root of(L/2g)]*integral of{1/[root of(cos@-cos@initial)] from 0 to @initial}

However when I performed a numerical integration with my calculator, the answer I got was completely absurd. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the integral should be correct. However, if you use the small angle approximation, the [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] should be gone!

notice that for small angle,
[tex]\cos\theta \approx 1-\frac{\theta^2}{2}[/tex]

you'll get a nice integral.

*notice that the integral is improper. that is, at theta=initial angle, the integrand goes to infinity. so some calculator will give you weird answers.

Last edited:
but I just wanted to do it without the small angle.
I'm just trying to figure out why I'm not getting a reasonable answer for the numerical integration.

for a 5m string, I'm getting 258.3s

Big, big, big problem! Without the "small" angle restriction, a pendulum may not even have a "period"! It is theoretically possible to place a pendulum directly upward, where it is balanced, wait for some tiny ripple of air to "knock it over" and have it come right back up to a balance again.

I don't know how to help you because I don't know:
1) What initial angle you used
2) What period you got
3) Why you think it is "absurd"

mmmmm
I see, I'm only in a first year of calculus so I don't know all this stuff. I know that there is some sort of a series to do this, but how would one normally carry out this calculation?

HallsofIvy said:
Big, big, big problem! Without the "small" angle restriction, a pendulum may not even have a "period"! It is theoretically possible to place a pendulum directly upward, where it is balanced, wait for some tiny ripple of air to "knock it over" and have it come right back up to a balance again.

I don't know how to help you because I don't know:
1) What initial angle you used
2) What period you got
3) Why you think it is "absurd"

Well, I did the calculation with a 15 degree angle and 5 meters length and got a 258s period. By the way I only did a small angle to test it--to compare to 2pi*root of (L/g)

Ja4Coltrane said:
mmmmm
I see, I'm only in a first year of calculus so I don't know all this stuff. I know that there is some sort of a series to do this, but how would one normally carry out this calculation?
One would normally use elliptic integrals. See the MathWorld page mentioned above for the mathematical intricacies. You can probably understand the page with first-year calculus, but it will take a lot of effort on your part.

Saketh said:
One would normally use elliptic integrals. See the MathWorld page mentioned above for the mathematical intricacies. You can probably understand the page with first-year calculus, but it will take a lot of effort on your part.

Well uh-oh.

This is interesting--I felt like with my knowledge of calculus I could solve any summation problem like this, but it appears that I was quite wrong. Kind of frustrating really.

Related to Calculating Pendulum Period: A Challenge!

What is a pendulum and why is its period important?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that swings back and forth under the influence of gravity. Its period is the time it takes for one complete swing. This is important because the period is affected by the length of the pendulum and the force of gravity, making it a useful tool for measuring time.

How do you calculate the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity in meters per second squared.

What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the force of gravity, and the amplitude (or distance of the swing). It is also affected by air resistance and the mass of the pendulum, but to a lesser extent.

How does changing the length of the pendulum affect its period?

The longer the pendulum, the longer the period. This is because the longer pendulum has a greater distance to travel, so it takes more time to complete one swing. Conversely, a shorter pendulum has a shorter period.

Why is the calculation of pendulum period considered a challenge?

The calculation of pendulum period can be challenging because it involves multiple variables and a complex formula. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement of the pendulum's length and the force of gravity can greatly affect the calculated period. It also requires an understanding of physics and mathematical concepts such as trigonometry.