How can I accurately calculate the quantum number of a pendulum?

In summary: I don't think that our everyday experience teaches us anything about the quantum world. Without that idea, we wouldn't be able to do physics at all.
jjson775
Summary:: Calculate the quantum number of a pendulum

I want to calculate the quantum number of pendulum. L = 1m, m = 1 kg., A= 3cm. I get a period of 2.01 sec. and f = 1/T = .498 sec. E =nhf gives me 2.67x10^31. The correct answer is 1.33x10^31, Where am I going wrong?

[Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes etotheipi
We have ##E = T+V = mgl(1-\cos{0.03})## and ##f = \frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}##, along with ##E = nhf## for the oscillator.

With that I get the same as the book answer. How did you calculate the energy?

Last edited by a moderator:
jjson775 said:
Where am I going wrong?

If you want us to answer that, shouldn't you show your work?

Here's a question that I'll put out there in case anyone has an answer (I don't intend for it to detract from the OP, so if it is a digression then let me know and I'll delete it!).

##V## can be shifted by an additive constant, so ##E = nhf## could equal any real number. What does that mean for our calculated quantum number?

etotheipi said:
Here's a question that I'll put out there in case anyone has an answer (I don't intend for it to detract from the OP, so if it is a digression then let me know and I'll delete it!).

##V## can be shifted by an additive constant, so ##E = nhf## could equal any real number. What does that mean for our calculated quantum number?
That would increase the ground state energy, and all energy levels. It won't give a different ##n##.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
That would increase the ground state energy, and all energy levels. It won't give a different ##n##.

Cool, thanks.

jjson775 said:
Summary:: Calculate the quantum number of a pendulum

I want to calculate the quantum number of pendulum. L = 1m, m = 1 kg., A= 3cm. I get a period of 2.01 sec. and f = 1/T = .498 sec. E =nhf gives me 2.67x10^31. The correct answer is 1.33x10^31, Where am I going wrong?

[Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown]
The problem is that ##T## and ##f## are constant for a given ##L##, hence the energy level of the pendulum is independent of ##f##. It's interesting that you got exactly twice the correct answer. It's not what I suggested in post #2.

etotheipi said:
We have ##E = T+V = mgl(1-\cos{0.03})## and ##f = \frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}##, along with ##E = nhf## for the oscillator.

I assumed the energy to be the potential energy at maximum displacement, ie, mgy =
etotheipi said:

Thanks. I got the potential energy wrong and fixed it. I am a retired engineer who studied classical physics only, 60 years ago, and am very interested in modern physics, at least at the undergraduate level for engineering students. I got through special relativity and am starting quantum mechanics. This is my first post on this forum.

Likes etotheipi
jjson775 said:
I assumed the energy to be the potential energy at maximum displacement, ie, mgy =

Thanks. I got the potential energy wrong and fixed it. I am a retired engineer who studied classical physics only, 60 years ago, and am very interested in modern physics, at least at the undergraduate level for engineering students. I got through special relativity and am starting quantum mechanics. This is my first post on this forum.
Which book are you working from? It's only my view, but this question isn't really about QM. A ##1kg## pendulum is a macroscopic, decoherent multi-particle system which does not in any meaningful way have a quantum number.

I'm not sure what you learn about QM from a question like this.

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
Which book are you working from? It's only my view, but this question isn't really about QM. A ##1kg## pendulum is a macroscopic, decoherent multi-particle system which does not in any meaningful way have a quantum number.

Here, this decoherent multi-particle system is no more unphysical than a point car passing a point truck on the highway in a kinematics problem. My view is that we have to suspend our disbelief in order to abstract the main point to be made. In the car problem, the point is to illustrate the application of the kinematic equations to a "catch-up" situation. In this example the point is to illustrate how the Correspondence Principle works. When ##n## is of order ##10^{31}##, one can better understand the classical limit of "continuous" energy by looking at the energy difference between the ##n##th and ##(n+1)##th energy levels of the oscillator.

kuruman said:
Here, this decoherent multi-particle system is no more unphysical than a point car passing a point truck on the highway in a kinematics problem. My view is that we have to suspend our disbelief in order to abstract the main point to be made. In the car problem, the point is to illustrate the application of the kinematic equations to a "catch-up" situation. In this example the point is to illustrate how the Correspondence Principle works. When ##n## is of order ##10^{31}##, one can better understand the classical limit of "continuous" energy by looking at the energy difference between the ##n##th and ##(n+1)##th energy levels of the oscillator.

If we calculate the stopping distance of a car, modelling it as a point particle, then that has some physical meaning. If I say a car traveling at 100km/h has a stoping distance of 50m, that has some meaning.

If you say a pendulum is in the energy state ##10^{31}## it's meaningless, especially as the pendulum does not meet the basic criteria to be modeled as a quantum SHO.

PeroK said:

Serway and Beichner Physics for Scientists and Engineers. It is an older edition but suits my purposes. I believe it is very widely used. There is a similar sample problem in the book that shows calculation of the quantum number for an oscillating spring block system. The book says that even though the energy is quantized, the effect is only measurable or important on the level of atoms and molecules.

PeroK said:
If we calculate the stopping distance of a car, modelling it as a point particle, then that has some physical meaning. If I say a car traveling at 100km/h has a stoping distance of 50m, that has some meaning.

If you say a pendulum is in the energy state ##10^{31}## it's meaningless, especially as the pendulum does not meet the basic criteria to be modeled as a quantum SHO.
It looks like you misunderstood my points on both accounts. With the car and truck problem there was no question about stopping distance. The stopping distance is the same for all points on a decelerating car assuming that it is a rigid body. When the question is "when does the car pass the truck?", one has to model each vehicle as a point object otherwise there will be a non-zero time interval ##\Delta t## during which a point on the car is at the same position with a point on the truck in which case the question would become meaningless unless on specifies the length of each vehicle and has defined what "passing the truck" exactly means. However, that would detract from the pedagogical value of the question which is the application of the kinematic equations.

Likewise for the 1 kg pendulum as a quantum harmonic oscillator. In all textbook descriptions of the quantum oscillator that I have seen, there are no restrictions or footnotes specifying the circumstances under which it can be applied. Specifically, I have seen no criteria specifying the mass ##m## in the Hamiltonian and when the wavefunctions are derived, there are no criteria about what values of ##n## are appropriate. I have always viewed the harmonic oscillator and its companion the particle in a box as two of the few examples in QM that can be solved exactly and can be used to show the transition from the quantum to the classical regime. Yes, ##n=10^{31}## is a ridiculously meaningless number, but that's not the point. The point is that the level with ##n=10^{31}+1## is ridiculously close to the level with ##n## so one might as well call that a continuum of energy, which is what we've been doing before QM.

Anyway, these are my thoughts and we can agree to disagree.

kuruman said:
Likewise for the 1 kg pendulum as a quantum harmonic oscillator. In all textbook descriptions of the quantum oscillator that I have seen, there are no restrictions or footnotes specifying the circumstances under which it can be applied. Specifically, I have seen no criteria specifying the mass ##m## in the Hamiltonian and when the wavefunctions are derived, there are no criteria about what values of ##n## are appropriate. I have always viewed the harmonic oscillator and its companion the particle in a box as two of the few examples in QM that can be solved exactly and can be used to show the transition from the quantum to the classical regime. Yes, ##n=10^{31}## is a ridiculously meaningless number, but that's not the point. The point is that the level with ##n=10^{31}+1## is ridiculously close to the level with ##n## so one might as well call that a continuum of energy, which is what we've been doing before QM.

Anyway, these are my thoughts and we can agree to disagree.
What would be valid is starting with QM to derive the equations of motion of a macroscopic pendulum. But, what is done here is to use Newton's laws of motion to derive the equation of motion of a pendulum and then ascribe a quantum number to the solution. This is fundamentally invalid, IMHO. If the pendulum is a quantum object it obeys the SDE and not Newton's laws.

So, first things first: please put a particle of mass ##m## in a quantum harmonic oscillator and derive the classical equations of motion!

PeroK said:
What would be valid is starting with QM to derive the equations of motion of a macroscopic pendulum. But, what is done here is to use Newton's laws of motion to derive the equation of motion of a pendulum and then ascribe a quantum number to the solution. This is fundamentally invalid, IMHO. If the pendulum is a quantum object it obeys the SDE and not Newton's laws.
In this specific example, OP deduced the frequency and energy of the motion from the length of the pendulum, the amplitude and the value of g. Doing that admittedly used equations derived from Newton's laws. Is that what you object to? What if the question simply gave the energy and frequency of the macroscopic pendulum and asked for the quantum number ##n##? Couldn't one use ##E_n=(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega## which is the QM-derived result?

kuruman said:
In this specific example, OP deduced the frequency and energy of the motion from the length of the pendulum, the amplitude and the value of g. Doing that admittedly used equations derived from Newton's laws. Is that what you object to? What if the question simply gave the energy and frequency of the macroscopic pendulum and asked for the quantum number ##n##? Couldn't one use ##E_n=(n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega## which is the QM-derived result?
My point is that the pendulum is not a quantum mechanical SHO, it's a classical SHO (which may be describable as a complex QM system, but not as QM SHO). It's not, therefore, in a well-defined QM SHO energy eigenstate of whatever ##n## one can calculate.

If one could produce an elementary particle with a mass of ##1kg##, that might be interesting: that, I assume, would be smeared out without a well-defined trajectory and behave quantum mechanically. But, a ##1kg## object comprising trillions of elementary particles does not behave like a hypothetical elementary particle of ##1kg##.

I get your point. I am trying to find some educational value in this while your position is that there can be none.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the definition of pendulum quantum number?

The pendulum quantum number, often denoted as l, is a quantum number that describes the angular momentum of an electron in an atom. It determines the shape of the electron's orbital and can have values from 0 to n-1, where n is the principal quantum number.

2. How is the pendulum quantum number related to the energy of an electron?

The pendulum quantum number is related to the energy of an electron through the equation E = -13.6 eV/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number. This means that the higher the value of l, the higher the energy of the electron.

3. What is the significance of the pendulum quantum number in the electron configuration of an atom?

The pendulum quantum number plays a crucial role in determining the electron configuration of an atom. It helps in understanding the spatial distribution of electrons in different orbitals and their energy levels.

4. Can the pendulum quantum number have a negative value?

No, the pendulum quantum number cannot have a negative value. It is always a positive integer ranging from 0 to n-1, where n is the principal quantum number.

5. How does the pendulum quantum number affect the chemical properties of an element?

The pendulum quantum number affects the chemical properties of an element by determining the shape of the electron's orbital. This, in turn, affects the electron's probability of being located in a specific region around the nucleus, which influences the element's reactivity and bonding characteristics.