Calculating Percent Change in Kinetic Energy with Varying Force Angles

In summary, the sled's kinetic energy increases by 36.7% when the pulling force is points 62.2° above the +x axis.
leezak
% change in KE

A sled is being pulled across a horizontal patch of snow. Friction is negligible. The pulling force points in the same direction as the sled's displacement, which is along the +x axis. As a result, the kinetic energy of the sled increases by 36.7%. By what percentage would the sled's kinetic energy have increased if this force had pointed 62.2° above the +x axis?

i'm not sure how to even begin this problem... I'm guessing i should use the change in KE = Work but I'm not sure how to go about it. help? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct: W = Fx.
We can assume that only the horizontal component of force increases the kinetic energy.

What is the horizontal component of F in case one (where F is horizontal)? How about in case two (where F is tilted)?

Can you figure out how to get an equation describing the situation (increase in kinetic energy) in case one? How about in case two?

if X is the horizontal component then x*cos(62.2) is the hypotenuse for the second case, right? I'm not sure how to make an equation for that. i know that PE at the bottom of the hill is 0 and therefore it must have a higher KE at the bottom and has a higher PE at the top. I'm really not sure how to make an equation out of that though

Hill? What hill? The hypotenuse is F. What is F's horizontal component?

F*cos(62.2) is F's horizontal component... how can i use that in an equation?

Only the horizontal F increases kinetic energy, unless the sled takes off (as in: airplanes do), but we assumed it doesn't.

Anyways, this is the situation:
K1 + W = K2
In the beginning, the sled has some kinetic energy (K1). Some (positive) work is done to the sled (W) and its kinetic energy increases (K2).

Can you use the information given in the problem to get two equations (case one and case two)?

does this make sense... for situation one --> (1/2)*m*(v^2) + (f*d) = .367 * (1/2)*m*(v^2) and for situation two --> (1/2)*m*(v^2) + (f*d*cos(62.2)) = (1/2)*m*(v^2) ? how can i use those

Close, but needs some adjusting:
(1/2)*m*(v^2) + (f*d) = .367 * (1/2)*m*(v^2)
Multiplying by 0,367 would mean the work was negative (as the kinetic energy decreases). What should you multiply the final kinetic energy with?

(1/2)*m*(v^2) + (f*d*cos(62.2)) = (1/2)*m*(v^2)
You must distinguish the energy in the beginning and in the end. Your equation gives fdcos(62,2) = 0, which is not the case. As you will be wanting the ratio between energy in the beginning and the end, I suggest multiplying the final energy by some A (which would be related to the asked percentage).

As you are not asked for velocity, using (1/2)mv^2 is unnecessary. Use K.

instead of multplying by .367 should i divide by .367?

As there's an 36,7 % increase: Einitial + 0,367Einitial = Efinal

So, you should multiply it by 1,367.

Last edited:
so now i have the two equations...
K1 + f*d = 1.367*K2 and
K1 + f*d*(cos(62.2)) = A*K2
but i have a lot of variables so what do i solve for?

K2 is actually K1.
A is the asked quantity. Solve for it.

Well, now it's just mathematics. Give it a shot, ask for more help if you can't get it solved :smile:.

what about fd though

aren't there still 3 variables... fd, A, and K1

fd will cancel out.

from equation one i got K1 = fd/.367 and i plugged that into equation two and eventually got A=1.46... I then multiplied that by 100 to get 146%, but that's wrong... I'm not sure what i did wrong

Ok, K = fd / .367.
K + fdcos(62.2) = AK
fd / .367 + fdcos(62.2) = A(fd / .367)
fd(1/.367 + cos(62.2)) = fdA / .367 _____ | fd cancels out
A = 1 + .367cos(62.2) = 1.1712

=> 17.1 %
I hope that's correct :smile:.

oh so you have to take out that one before putting into a percentage... thanks!

Related to Calculating Percent Change in Kinetic Energy with Varying Force Angles

What is the definition of "Percent change in KE"?

The percent change in kinetic energy (KE) is a measure of the difference between the initial and final KE of a system, expressed as a percentage of the initial KE. It is calculated by taking the difference between the final and initial KE, dividing it by the initial KE, and then multiplying by 100.

How is percent change in KE calculated?

To calculate the percent change in KE, first determine the initial KE of the system. Then, determine the final KE of the system. Next, subtract the initial KE from the final KE. Divide this difference by the initial KE. Finally, multiply the result by 100 to get the percent change in KE.

Why is percent change in KE important?

Percent change in KE is important because it allows us to quantify the amount of energy that has been gained or lost by a system. This is useful in understanding the behavior of physical systems and can help us make predictions about their future behavior.

Can percent change in KE be negative?

Yes, percent change in KE can be negative. This indicates that the final KE is less than the initial KE, meaning that the system has lost energy. A negative percent change in KE can occur if energy is transferred out of the system, for example through friction or work done by an external force.

How is percent change in KE related to work?

Percent change in KE is related to work through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on a system is equal to the change in its KE. This means that if work is done on a system, its KE will increase and the percent change in KE will be positive. Conversely, if work is done by a system, its KE will decrease and the percent change in KE will be negative.