Finding work and the Change in Thermal Energy

In summary, Kerry does 14,098 joules of work as he pulls the 156-kg sled over a distance of 26.0 m, against a 620-N force at an angle of 29.0° above the ground. The change in thermal energy is also equal to the frictional work, which can be found using the equation ΔEth = FkΔr.
alyssad

Homework Statement

Kerry is pulling a 156-kg sled along a snowy, horizontal path with a 620-N force directed at an angle of 29.0° above the ground. He pulls the sled over a distance of 26.0 m, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the ground is 0.0622.

I need to find the amount of work that Kerry does as he pulls the sled AND I need to find the increase in thermal energy.

Homework Equations

I know that
W = μkmgΔr*cos(Θ)
ΔEth = FkΔr

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to begin with finding the answer. I feel like the work equation needs to include the force that is given in the problem statement. And I would appreciate help with the thermal energy part as well.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
alyssad said:

Homework Statement

Kerry is pulling a 156-kg sled along a snowy, horizontal path with a 620-N force directed at an angle of 29.0° above the ground. He pulls the sled over a distance of 26.0 m, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the ground is 0.0622.

I need to find the amount of work that Kerry does as he pulls the sled AND I need to find the increase in thermal energy.

Homework Equations

I know that
W = μkmgΔr*cos(Θ)
ΔEth = FkΔr

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to begin with finding the answer. I feel like the work equation needs to include the force that is given in the problem statement. And I would appreciate help with the thermal energy part as well.

Thank you!
Have you drawn a free body diagram?

Chestermiller said:
Have you drawn a free body diagram?
I have drawn a free body diagram. I'm pretty sure that the equation I posted is the equation for the amount of work needed to overcome the force of friction. I still don't know where to go from here.

Is the sled accelerating, such that its kinetic energy is increasing?

So I found that W = 14098 J, and I know that is the correct answer. How should I start finding the change in thermal energy?

The change in thermal energy is equal to the frictional work.

What is the concept of thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that a substance or system possesses due to the movement of its particles. It is a form of kinetic energy that is caused by the random motion of atoms and molecules.

How does finding work affect thermal energy?

Finding work, or performing a task, requires the use of energy. This energy can be converted into thermal energy through friction or other forms of resistance. For example, when you rub your hands together, the friction creates thermal energy, resulting in your hands feeling warmer.

What factors can cause a change in thermal energy?

The factors that can cause a change in thermal energy include temperature, mass, and the material's specific heat capacity. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, and a change in temperature can result in a change in thermal energy. Mass and specific heat capacity also play a role in determining the amount of thermal energy in a system.

How does insulation impact thermal energy?

Insulation helps to reduce the transfer of thermal energy between objects. It works by trapping air or other materials that are good at resisting thermal energy. This prevents heat from escaping or entering a system, keeping it at a more constant temperature.

Can thermal energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, thermal energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical energy. This is known as the principle of energy conservation, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.