Calculating pH of a Buffer System After Addition of Base

In summary, a buffer system is a solution that resists changes in pH by containing a weak acid and its conjugate base. Adding a base to a buffer system is necessary when the pH becomes too acidic, as it can neutralize the excess acid and maintain a stable pH. This addition also produces a conjugate base, which helps to maintain the buffer system's ability to resist changes in pH. However, if too much base is added, the pH can become too high and the buffer system may lose its effectiveness. Only weak bases should be added to a buffer system, as strong bases can cause drastic changes in pH.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

You have 400 mL of a solution of 0.20 M Na3PO4 buffer at pH 6.5. You add 0.7 g
of NaOH to this solution. What will be the new pH?

Homework Equations

I suppose vital givens will be:

pH = p_Ka + log[(A-)/(HA)]

p_Ka values for H3PO4 = 2.15, 6.78, 12.4

The Attempt at a Solution

Concerns that I have are:

1) Did I use the correct p_Ka value? (This is if the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is of any use.)
2) Did I find each species’ mols accordingly?
3) As a weak triprotic acid/system is featured, have I setup and represented the involved species for final pH?

0.20 M Na3PO4 * 0.4 L Na3PO4 = 0.08 mol Na3PO4

Base will react fully with acid.

The question that I have before typing out my workings is the following.

At pH 6.5, is this valid to propose: [H3PO4] + [H2PO4 (-)] + [HPO4 (2-)] + [PO4 (3-)] = 0.08 mol of phosphate? I thought that perhaps the first two species would be predominant, or not negligible, at this pH.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Soaring Crane said:
1) Did I use the correct p_Ka value? (This is if the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is of any use.)
2) Did I find each species’ mols accordingly?
3) As a weak triprotic acid/system is featured, have I setup and represented the involved species for final pH?

Hard to say not knowing what you did.

Base will react fully with acid.

Good assumption. In some particular cases it won't be true, but as long as pKa of the acid is between pH 3 and 11 (or even 2 and 12) you don't have to worry. Note 12.4 is a little bit too high to be sure.

At pH 6.5, is this valid to propose: [H3PO4] + [H2PO4 (-)] + [HPO4 (2-)] + [PO4 (3-)] = 0.08 mol of phosphate?

It is valid regardless of the pH (assuming you started with 0.08 moles of phosphates - which is the case here).

I am then supposed to find each species’ mol value at 6.5 as organized below before taking into consideration the reaction with base? For purposes as you have stated above, the last p_Ka value will be rounded to 12.0.

10^4.5 = [H2PO4 (-)]/[H3PO4] or 31623 = [H2PO4 (-)]/[H3PO4]

10^-0.28 = [HPO4 (2-)]/[H2PO4 (-)] or 0.52481 = [HPO4 (2-)]/[H2PO4 (-)]

10^-5.5 = PO4 (3-)]/[HPO4 (2-)] or 3.1623*10^-6 = [PO4 (3-)]/[HPO4 (2-)]

Thank you.

You have to tell us what you are doing. First you posted a question, and asked if your approach was right, without showing what you did. Now you have posted some calculations, probably in hope we will again try to read your mind and guess what you are doing and why. Sorry, it will not work. I can guess what you are trying to do, but I prefer to work on explicitly posted information, to not waste my time in case I guessed wrong.

I apologize for sounding incomplete.

I was not sure that the assumption [H3PO4] + [H2PO4 (-)] + [HPO4 (2-)] + [PO4 (3-)] = 0.08 mol was correct. I typed my concerns as foresight or anticipation of where I might get stuck, and they did not reflect an actual approach that I practiced as I did not want to waste time in solving and getting the wrong pH value under false assumptions.

Now that you have cleared up that the above equation is true, I am trying to solve for pH step-by-step gradually instead of a single post.

This is my plan. I don’t know each species’ mol value, so I am trying to solve for each species, but I am stuck on solving for all four if I cannot assume a form is negligible. I am using the ratio of conjugate base and acid for each p_Ka so that I may substitute for a common species.

For example, using what I posted in my second post I have derived the equation

[H2PO4-]/ 31623 + [H2PO4-] + 0.52481*[H2PO4-] + [PO4 (3-)] = 0.08 mol

from

[H3PO4] + [H2PO4 (-)] + [HPO4 (2-)] + [PO4 (3-)] = 0.08 mol.

However, there are two variables instead of one.

I don’t know how to carry on from here.

Thanks for any advice. I hope I am clearer. (By the way, my intention is not for you to solve this problem for me. I want to solve this on my own without any help, but I am honestly stuck.)

You are making it unnecessarily more complicated than it is. At pH 6.5 you are close to pKa2, close enough that you don't have to worry about H3PO4 and PO43- (it can be easily proven - you already did it partially at least, showing how many times concentrations of respectively H2PO4- and HPO42- are larger). Calculate concentrations of H2PO4- and HPO42- assuming they are the only forms present in the solution and neutralization with NaOH went to completion, then plug them into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation (you have already listed it) and you are done. No need for a full blown analysis and calculation of everything.

What is a buffer system?

A buffer system is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It consists of a weak acid and its conjugate base (or a weak base and its conjugate acid) and helps to maintain a stable pH in a solution.

Why would you need to add a base to a buffer system?

Adding a base to a buffer system is necessary when the pH of the solution becomes too acidic. This can happen when an acid is added, or when the buffer system is overwhelmed by an external source of acid. By adding a base, the buffer system can neutralize the excess acid and maintain a stable pH.

How does adding a base affect the buffer system?

When a base is added to a buffer system, it reacts with the weak acid present in the solution. This reaction produces its conjugate base, which helps to maintain the buffer system's ability to resist changes in pH. The addition of a base also increases the pH of the solution, making it more basic.

What happens if too much base is added to a buffer system?

If too much base is added to a buffer system, the pH of the solution will become too high (basic). This can result in the buffer system becoming overwhelmed and losing its ability to resist changes in pH. Additionally, the excess base may not have a corresponding weak acid to react with, causing the pH to continue to rise.

Can any base be added to a buffer system?

No, not all bases can be added to a buffer system. The base must be a weak base in order to react with the weak acid present in the buffer system. Strong bases, such as sodium hydroxide, will completely dissociate in solution and can cause drastic changes in pH, making them unsuitable for use in a buffer system.