Calculating Piston Movement in a Container

In summary: I'm done.In summary, you must apply a force on one of the pistons in order to determine the movement of the other pistons. If the areas of the other pistons are less than the area of the target piston, the sum of the areas must equal the number of pistons multiplied by the force applied.
batballbat
in a container there are some pistons of different areas. If we apply a force at one of the pistons and move it a distance. How can we determine the distance moved by the other pistons?

Physics news on Phys.org
batballbat said:
in a container there are some pistons of different areas. If we apply a force at one of the pistons and move it a distance. How can we determine the distance moved by the other pistons?

You must show your attempts at an answer before we can help you.

what if a child asks this question? i thought this rule was for homework section.

batballbat said:
what if a child asks this question? i thought this rule was for homework section.

Yes, this belongs in the homework section. Show your attempt.

it does not depend on the area. Every piston will be moved by an equal distance. Thats my attempt.

It is just conservation of mass. For water, this equates to conservation of volume. If you know how far down one piston moved, you can use that displaced volume to determine how high the rest moved.

boneh3ad
everybody knows volume is conserved. so u mean that increase in volume of every piston is same? in which case, the distance can be determined.

No, the pistons will rise the same and the total volume "added" by the rising pistons will equal the volume "lost" by the falling piston(s).

ok. what if the sum of the areas of the other pistons is less than or greater than the area of that piston times the no. of the other pistons?

somebody comment on this problem.

if the other pistons move equal distances. Then the sum of the other areas must equal the no. of the other pistons multiplied by the gien piston.

help?

Presumably, only one target piston is allowed to move freely at a time, otherwise, I'm not sure how you could calculate several pistons' movement simultaneously.

This is identical to filling cylindrical glasses of water.

If you start with a glass that is 10cm in diameter, and it is filled with 1L of water, the height of the water will reach X.

If you pour that entire 1L of water (i.e. volume does not change) into another glass of 5cm diameter, what level will the water reach and how do you calculate that?

well imagine a enclosed sphere under no action of gravity. I am guessing there must be some regularity in the movement of the pistons if we push in one of the pistons.

batballbat said:
well imagine a enclosed sphere under no action of gravity. I am guessing there must be some regularity in the movement of the pistons if we push in one of the pistons.
I'm not sure how that helps or hinders the problem at-hand. It just seems to kind of restate it.

Did you read my previous post? Do you understand the correlation between the areas and the volume displacements of the pistons?

ok so volume is conserved.
we get, for directed distance
$A_1$ $d_1$ + $A_2$ $d_2$ + ... = 0
And also the sum of the work done is also 0.
Then?

Perhaps you need to rethink what you want from us. If this is a question from a book, perhaps you should write out the entire question.

P1Area x P1Displacement = P2Area x P2Displacement

What more do you want?

forget it

Related to Calculating Piston Movement in a Container

1. How do you calculate the volume of a piston?

The volume of a piston can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the piston by its length or stroke. This can be represented by the formula V = A x L, where V is the volume, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length or stroke of the piston.

2. What is the equation for calculating the movement of a piston in a container?

The equation for calculating the movement of a piston in a container is given by the ideal gas law, PV = nRT. This equation relates the pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), gas constant (R), and temperature (T) of a gas. By rearranging this equation, we can solve for the volume of the piston at any given pressure and temperature.

3. How does the shape of the container affect the movement of the piston?

The shape of the container can affect the movement of the piston by changing the pressure and temperature of the gas inside. For example, a container with a smaller volume will have a higher pressure and temperature, causing the piston to move further compared to a container with a larger volume.

4. Can you calculate the movement of a piston without knowing the pressure and temperature?

No, it is not possible to calculate the movement of a piston without knowing the pressure and temperature. These variables are essential in the ideal gas law equation and are needed to solve for the volume of the piston.

5. How can the movement of a piston be used in practical applications?

The movement of a piston has many practical applications, such as in engines and compressors. In an engine, the movement of the piston helps convert the energy from fuel combustion into mechanical energy, which powers the vehicle. In a compressor, the movement of the piston helps compress gas or air for various industrial and household purposes.