Density of Flow Along a Tube Under the Action of Advancing Piston

In summary: If we include the viscous behavior of the air then the axial velocity must be a function of r because of the no-slip (zero wall velocity) boundary condition.
erobz
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Determine the density distribution ##\rho (u)## along the tube as the piston advances
Relevant Equations
Conservation of Mass
I'm trying to figure out how describe the mass of air between the piston face and the und of the tube ( position ##o##) in the acompanying diagram.

1688561831598.png

At ##t = 0##, the mass of air in the tube is ##M_o##, and the system is static with tube length ##l##. The ##x## coordinate describes how far along the tube the piston has advanced at time ##t##. The ##u## coordinate ranges from the piston face to the end of the tube ## 0 \leq u \leq l-x ##

Let the density, and velocity (both assumed to be uniformly distributed over the cross section) of the outflow be given by ##\rho_o (t), v_o(t)##respectively.

Applying conservation of mass I get the following relationship:

$$ A \int_0^{ l-x(t) } \rho (u) ~du = M_o - A \int_0^t \rho_o (t) v_o (t) ~dt$$

Where ##A## is the cross sectional area of the tube, and the ##x## coordinate is given by:

$$x(t) = \int_0^t \dot x ~dt $$

My goal is to get ##\rho (u)## as a function of all the other variables. My instinct is to try transform ##du \to k ~dt ## and then differentiate both sides w.r.t. ##t##.

? Is it ok to write:

$$ \begin{aligned} u &= l-x \\ & = l - \int_0^t \dot x ~dt \\ \implies & \frac{du}{dt} = -\dot x \end{aligned} $$

Substituting for ##du## :

$$ -A \int_0^{ l-x(t) } \rho (u) ~\dot x ~dt = M_o - A \int_0^t \rho_o (t) v_o (t) ~dt$$

Now differentiate both sides w.r.t time ##t##:

$$ -A \frac{d}{dt} \left( \int_0^{ l-x(t) } \rho (u) ~\dot x ~dt \right) = \cancel {\frac{d}{dt} M_o}^0 - A \frac{d}{dt} \left( \int_0^t \rho_o (t) v_o (t) ~dt \right) $$

$$ \boxed{ \implies \rho(u) \dot x = \rho_o(t) v_o(t) } $$

Possibly I've performed some unsavory mathematics?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the piston were moving very slowly. Do you think the density would be changing with x or t?

Chestermiller said:
Suppose the piston were moving very slowly. Do you think the density would be changing with x or t?
If the piston were moving with constant velocity I expect that the velocity ##v_o(t) = \dot x## and the density to be uniform over ##u##. So ##\rho(u) = \rho_o(t) = \text{const.} ## ( in the absence of viscous friction ), But this is just about conservation of mass. Forces are irrelevant at this point as far as I can tell.

erobz said:
If the piston were moving with constant velocity I expect that the density ##v_o(t) = \dot x## and the density to be uniform over ##u##. So ##\rho(u) = \rho_o(t) = \text{const.} ##
If the air is considered inviscid and there is no consideration of startup accelerations, that is correct. But, if the piston suddenly starts moving with constant velocity or the viscosity of the included, this would not be the case.

Chestermiller said:
If the air is considered inviscid and there is no consideration of startup accelerations, that is correct. But, if the piston suddenly starts moving with constant velocity or the viscosity of the included, this would not be the case.
I agree with that, the various forces dictate the outcomes for ##v_o(t), \rho(u),...##. But mass conservation applies independent of that. That is the only equation I have considered up to this point.

erobz said:
I agree with that, the various forces dictate the outcomes for ##v_o(t), \rho(u),...##. But mass conservation applies independent of that. That is the only equation I have considered up to this point.
Conservation of mass requires that $$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}+\nabla \centerdot(\rho \bf{v})=0$$. If the fluid is viscous, pressure will be a function of x, as will be density (via the ideal gas law). Velocity will also be a function of x and r. Startup (transient) adds time t, so P = P(x,t), ##\rho=\rho(x,t)##, and ##v=v(x,r,t)##.

Chestermiller said:
Conservation of mass requires that $$\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}+\nabla \centerdot(\rho \bf{v})=0$$. If the fluid is viscous, pressure will be a function of x, as will be density (via the ideal gas law). Velocity will also be a function of x and r. Startup (transient) adds time t, so P = P(x,t), ##\rho=\rho(x,t)##, and ##v=v(x,r,t)##.
I'm making the simplifying assumption that the properties are uniformly distributed over the cross-section. So, I'm neglecting the dependency on ##r##.

to that point, is what I did not cohesive with what you suggest? If not, where do I go off, because I can't see what else it could be.

Last edited:
erobz said:
I'm making the simplifying assumption that the properties are uniformly distributed over the cross-section. So, I'm neglecting the dependency on ##r##.
If we include the viscous behavior of the air then the axial velocity must be a function of r because of the no-slip (zero wall velocity) boundary condition.
erobz said:
to that point, is what I did not cohesive with what you suggest? If not, where do I go off, because I can't see what else it could be.
If air compressibility is included (as it must be), and the piston is suddenly set into motion at constant velocity, a compression wave will travel down the tube at the speed of sound. Upstream of the leading edge of the compression wave, the velocity of the air will be on the order of the piston velocity and the density will be elevated above the initial density. Downstream of the compression wave, both the density and the air velocity will be unchanged. So, until the compression wave reaches the tube exit, the exit velocity will be zero.

Chestermiller said:
If we include the viscous behavior of the air then the axial velocity must be a function of r because of the no-slip (zero wall velocity) boundary condition.
I didn't want to start that yet, but surely it can be fudged with a power law approximation for the dissipative forces?
Chestermiller said:
If air compressibility is included (as it must be), and the piston is suddenly set into motion at constant velocity, a compression wave will travel down the tube at the speed of sound. Upstream of the leading edge of the compression wave, the velocity of the air will be on the order of the piston velocity and the density will be elevated above the initial density. Downstream of the compression wave, both the density and the air velocity will be unchanged. So, until the compression wave reaches the tube exit, the exit velocity will be zero.
##l## in the application I have in mind is on the order of a meter. The period of time where the shockwave propagates should be ignorable.

erobz said:
I didn't want to start that yet, but surely it can be fudged with a power law approximation for the dissipative forces?

##l## in the application I have in mind is on the order of a meter. The period of time where the shockwave propagates should be ignorable.
I provided my best judgment based on >50 years of fluid dynamics (my thesis area) experience. I stand by what I said.

Likes SammyS
Chestermiller said:
I provided my best judgment based on >50 years of fluid dynamics (my thesis area) experience. I stand by what I said.
I didn’t mean to imply you weren’t speaking from experience, (I’m not attacking your credentials, I have none)it’s just that I’m looking for a zeroth order model.

However, at 1 meter the transient shockwave is propagated in less than 0.003 s, so I don’t see what the argument is on that point.

My main concern is whether or not I could do what I did with the mathematics. I don’t feel that has been straightly answered yet. Perhaps I should repost in the math forum?

erobz said:
Homework Statement: Determine the density distribution ##\rho (u)## along the tube as the piston advances
Relevant Equations: Conservation of Mass

I'm trying to figure out how describe the mass of air between the piston face and the und of the tube ( position ##o##) in the acompanying diagram.

View attachment 328837

At ##t = 0##, the mass of air in the tube is ##M_o##, and the system is static with tube length ##l##. The ##x## coordinate describes how far along the tube the piston has advanced at time ##t##. The ##u## coordinate ranges from the piston face to the end of the tube ## 0 \leq u \leq l-x ##

Let the density, and velocity (both assumed to be uniformly distributed over the cross section) of the outflow be given by ##\rho_o (t), v_o(t)##respectively.

Applying conservation of mass I get the following relationship:

$$ A \int_0^{ l-x(t) } \rho (u) ~du = M_o - A \int_0^t \rho_o (t) v_o (t) ~dt$$

Where ##A## is the cross sectional area of the tube, and the ##x## coordinate is given by:

$$x(t) = \int_0^t \dot x ~dt $$

I think this is ok up to here. The interpretation I'm imagining that some time ##t## passes, we freeze time. Integrate the RHS. The integral on the LHS must be equivalent when we integrate over the spatial coordinate at that time. This admittedly sounds like partial derivatives need to be involved.

erobz said:
My goal is to get ##\rho (u)## as a function of all the other variables. My instinct is to try transform ##du \to k ~dt ## and then differentiate both sides w.r.t. ##t##.

? Is it ok to write:

$$ \begin{aligned} u &= l-x \\ & = l - \int_0^t \dot x ~dt \\ \implies & \frac{du}{dt} = -\dot x \end{aligned} $$

Substituting for ##du## :

$$ -A \int_0^{ l-x(t) } \rho (u) ~\dot x ~dt = M_o - A \int_0^t \rho_o (t) v_o (t) ~dt$$

Now differentiate both sides w.r.t time ##t##:

$$ -A \frac{d}{dt} \left( \int_0^{ l-x(t) } \rho (u) ~\dot x ~dt \right) = \cancel {\frac{d}{dt} M_o}^0 - A \frac{d}{dt} \left( \int_0^t \rho_o (t) v_o (t) ~dt \right) $$

$$ \boxed{ \implies \rho(u) \dot x = \rho_o(t) v_o(t) } $$

Possibly I've performed some unsavory mathematics?
I'm looking for help in figuring out why this part is "funny math". I not interested in the fluids model perse. Why I don't believe myself is that ##u## is a spatial coordinate, and I can't make sense of the end result because everything else is a function of time ##t##, and with time "frozen" ##u## is also frozen. So it's got to be junk.

Last edited:

1. What is the density of flow along a tube?

The density of flow along a tube refers to the amount of mass per unit volume of fluid passing through a specific section of the tube. It is typically measured in units of kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How is the density of flow affected by an advancing piston?

The density of flow along a tube is affected by an advancing piston because it causes an increase in pressure and velocity of the fluid inside the tube. This increase in pressure and velocity leads to a decrease in the density of the fluid, as it becomes more compressed and moves faster through the tube.

3. What factors influence the density of flow along a tube?

The density of flow along a tube is influenced by several factors, including the type of fluid, the temperature and pressure of the fluid, the diameter and length of the tube, and the presence of any obstructions or changes in the tube's geometry.

4. How is the density of flow calculated?

The density of flow can be calculated by dividing the mass of the fluid passing through a specific point in the tube by the volume of that section. This can be represented by the equation: density = mass / volume.

5. Why is the density of flow along a tube important to understand?

The density of flow along a tube is important to understand because it can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of fluid systems. Changes in density can affect the pressure, velocity, and flow rate of the fluid, which can have implications for the performance of machines and equipment that rely on fluid flow. It is also a key factor in understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes, channels, and other systems.