Calculating Pluto's Orbital Time Above/Below Ecliptic

In summary, the length of time Pluto spends above/below the ecliptic can be determined by knowing the semi-major and semi-minor axes, orbital eccentricity, and orbital circumference. The orbital inclination and location of the sun as a focus within the ellipse may also be needed. The longitude of perihelion and the longitude of the ascending node are important in determining the orientation of the orbital inclination. Additional information and tables, such as those provided by NASA, can be used to calculate planetary positions and determine schedules of transits across the sun as viewed from Pluto.
Globe199
I'm trying to determine the length of time Pluto spends above/below the ecliptic. I've got these figures:

semi-major axis: 39.264 AU
semi-minor axis: 34.031 AU
orbital eccentricity: 0.249
approx orbital circumference: 230.85 AU
orbital inclination is 17.142° (I'm thinking this number isn't relevant to this question)

So I guess what I'm asking is, given those figures, how do I determine the "section" of the circumference that is above/below the ecliptic? Or is there additional info I need such as the location of the sun as a focus within the ellipse?

The ultimate goal here is to learn how planetary transits can be calculated. Specifically, I was wondering about a schedule of transits across the sun of planets as viewed from Pluto. Thanks for any assistance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You are also going to need the longitude of perihelion and the longitude of the ascending node.

These are important because they tell you how the orbital inclination is orientated with respect to the major axis of the orbit. In Pluto's case, the they are nearly 90° apart.

You might find this helpful, it has tables of the orbital elements and shows how to use them to calculate planetary positions.

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/txt/aprx_pos_planets.pdf

What is the definition of Pluto's orbital time?

Pluto's orbital time refers to the amount of time it takes for the dwarf planet to complete one full orbit around the Sun.

How is Pluto's orbital time calculated?

Pluto's orbital time is calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion, which states that the square of a planet's orbital period is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

What is the average orbital time of Pluto?

The average orbital time of Pluto is approximately 248 Earth years, or 90,560 Earth days.

How does Pluto's orbital time compare to other planets in our solar system?

Pluto's orbital time is much longer than that of the inner planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars), but shorter than that of the outer gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune).

Can Pluto's orbital time change?

Yes, Pluto's orbital time can change slightly due to gravitational interactions with other celestial bodies, such as Neptune. However, these changes are minimal and do not significantly impact Pluto's overall orbital time.