Calculating Potential Difference in a Uniform Electric Field

In summary, to move a 56 microCoulomb charge 20 cm in the direction of an electric field, a force of 4.30x10^-2 Newtons is needed. The potential difference that will provide this force is 153.57 volts.
um0123

Homework Statement

A force of [tex]4.30\cdot10^{-2} [/tex]Newtons is needed to move a charge of 56 microCoulombs a distance of 20 cm in the direction of a uniform electric field. What is the potentioal difference that will provide this force

Homework Equations

Im trying to find one that would work

The Attempt at a Solution

i have converted 56 microCoulombs into [tex]5.6\cdot10^{-5} [/tex] Coulombs and 20 centimeters into .2 Meters. but that's the easy stuff. I can't seem to find an equation that would help me solve this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write eqs that show relationship between F-E and E-V?

i only know a few equations:

[tex]\Delta~V = k_C\frac{q}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta~V =-E\Delta~d[/tex]

[tex]\Delta~V =\frac{PE_{electric}}{q}[/tex]

But i don't see any of these helping, unless I am overlooking something huge.

i have one equation for force, but it requires two stationary charged particles, all i have is one.

Hi there,

First, try calculating the E-field, and then use the answer you get to then calculate the p.d. :)

the only equation i have to calculate E-Field is:

[tex]E = \frac{k_Cq}{r^2}[/tex]

and i can't use that because the 56 microcoulomb particle isn't the thing creating the uniform field, it is being acted upon by another field. all i know is that it was moved 20 centimeters with a force of 4.3x10^-2 Newtons.

You should also have the equation F=qE...you can rearrange this to find the electric field, because you know the size of the force that had to act on the charged particle. This field magnitude can then be used to find the potential difference :)

oh i forgot about {tex]E=\frac{F}{q_0}[/tex]

solving for E:

[tex]E=\frac{4.3\cdot10^-2}{5.6\cdot10^-5}[/tex]

[tex]E= 767.85[/tex]

Then i plug that into [tex]\Delta~V =E\Delta~d[/tex]

and get the answer 153.57

and i checked in the answers section of my lab manual and it is correct.

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Potential Difference in a Uniform Electric Field

1. What are the fundamental laws of electrostatics?

The fundamental laws of electrostatics are Coulomb's Law and Gauss's Law. Coulomb's Law states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Gauss's Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. What is an electric field and how is it calculated?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged particle or object where an electric force can be exerted on another charged particle. It is calculated by taking the ratio of the force exerted on a test charge to the magnitude of the test charge. This can also be written as the product of the charge creating the field and the inverse square of the distance between the two charges.

3. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. This is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely through them, while insulators are materials that do not allow electric charges to flow easily. This is due to the difference in the number of free electrons in each material. Conductors have a higher number of free electrons, while insulators have a lower number of free electrons.

5. What is the concept of electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It can also be thought of as the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is often represented by the symbol V and is measured in volts (V).