Calculating potential energy of hydrogen atom

In summary, the expectation values for ##\left< \frac 1 r \right>## and ## \left< \frac 1 {r^2} \right> ## were found to be ##\frac 1 {4a_0}## and ##\frac 1 {12a^2_0}## respectively for a hydrogen atom in a given state represented by ## \psi_{2,1,-1} \left( r,\theta,\phi \right) = \left( \frac 1 {64 \pi a^3_0} \right)^{1/2} \frac r {a_0} e^{-r/2a_0} \sin(\theta) e
Leechie

Homework Statement

Calculate ##\left< \frac 1 r \right>## and ##\left< \frac 1 {r^2} \right>## and the expectation value and uncertainty of the potential energy of the electron and proton for a hydrogen atom in the given state.

The given state is:
$$ \psi_{2,1,-1} \left( r,\theta,\phi \right) = \left( \frac 1 {64 \pi a^3_0} \right)^{1/2} \frac r {a_0} e^{-r/2a_0} \sin(\theta) e^{-i\phi}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the expectation values for ##\left< \frac 1 r \right>## and ## \left< \frac 1 {r^2} \right> ## which I think are right. The values I've got are:
$$ \left< \frac 1 r \right> = \frac 1 {4a_0} $$ $$ \left< \frac 1 {r^2} \right> = \frac 1 {12a^2_0} $$
The expectation for the potential energy I've got is:
$$ \left< E \right> = - \frac {e^2} {4 \pi \varepsilon_0} \left< \frac 1 r \right> = -\frac {e^2} {16 \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0 }$$
This is where I'm getting a bit confused. I'm trying to use ## \Delta E = \sqrt {\left< E^2 \right> - \left< E \right>^2 }## to find the uncertainty. I thought it should equal zero since the question relates to a stationary state but I'm getting:

For ##\left< E^2 \right>## I've got:
$$ \left< E^2 \right> = - \frac {e^4} {256 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } \left< \frac 1 {r^2} \right> = -\frac {e^4} {3072 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 }$$
So for the uncertainty I've got:
$$\begin{align} \Delta E & = \sqrt {\left< E^2 \right> - \left< E \right>^2 } \nonumber \\ & = \sqrt {-\frac {e^4} {3072 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } - \left( -\frac {e^2} {16 \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0 } \right)^2 } \nonumber \\ & = \sqrt {-\frac {e^4} {3072 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } + \frac {e^4} {256 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } } \nonumber \\ & = \sqrt {-\frac 1 {3072} + \frac 1 {256} } \nonumber \\ & = \sqrt {\frac {11} {3072} } \end{align}$$
Can anyone help with this please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're working with the potential energy V, rather than the total energy E. So, it might be less confusing to use the symbol V rather than E.
This is where I'm getting a bit confused. I'm trying to use ## \Delta E = \sqrt {\left< E^2 \right> - \left< E \right>^2 }## to find the uncertainty. I thought it should equal zero since the question relates to a stationary state
The wavefunction is not an eigenstate of the potential energy operator ##V##. So, do you expect ##\Delta V## to be zero?
Leechie said:
For ##\left< E^2 \right>## I've got:
$$ \left< E^2 \right> = - \frac {e^4} {256 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } \left< \frac 1 {r^2} \right> $$
The factor of 256 in this expression does not look correct.
[Edit: Also, the overall dimensions of this expression are incorrect for the square of an energy.]

Last edited:
Likes Leechie
Thanks for your reply TSny.

You're right about changing the the symbol ##E## to ##V##. I think using ##E## instead of ##V## is what was confusing me when thinking about the uncertainty.

I think I seen where I've gone wrong with my value for ##\left< V^2 \right>##. I've corrected it to:
$$\left< V^2 \right> = \frac {e^4} {16 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 } \left< \frac {1} {r^2} \right> = \frac {e^4} {192 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } $$
So my uncertainty equation now looks like:
$$\begin{align} \Delta V & = \sqrt {\left< V^2 \right> - \left< V \right>^2} \nonumber \\ & = \sqrt { \frac {e^4} {192 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } - \left( - \frac {e^2} {16 \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0 } \right)^2 } \nonumber \\ & = \sqrt { \frac {e^4} {192 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } - \frac {e^4} {256 \pi^2 \varepsilon^2_0 a^2_0 } } \nonumber \\ & = \frac {e^2} {\sqrt {768} \pi \varepsilon_0 a_0 } \nonumber \end{align}$$
Which I think looks better, would you agree?

Yes, that looks good to me.

Likes Leechie
Great. Thanks for your help!

1. How is the potential energy of a hydrogen atom calculated?

The potential energy of a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the equation: PE = -(k * q1 * q2) / r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the proton and electron respectively, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the significance of calculating the potential energy of a hydrogen atom?

Calculating the potential energy of a hydrogen atom helps us understand the stability and behavior of the atom. It also allows us to predict the energy required for an electron to move from one energy level to another.

3. How does the distance between the proton and electron affect the potential energy of a hydrogen atom?

The potential energy of a hydrogen atom is inversely proportional to the distance between the proton and electron. This means that as the distance increases, the potential energy decreases and vice versa.

4. What is the unit of measurement for potential energy of a hydrogen atom?

The unit of measurement for potential energy of a hydrogen atom is joules (J). It can also be expressed in electron volts (eV), where 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J.

5. Can the potential energy of a hydrogen atom be negative?

Yes, the potential energy of a hydrogen atom can be negative. This indicates that there is an attractive force between the proton and electron, causing them to be pulled towards each other. A positive potential energy would indicate a repulsive force.