Calculating Pressure Exerted on A Gasoline Column

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving calculating the pressure exerted on a column filled with gasoline. The equation used is height x 0.433 x specific gravity = pressure, and the textbook mentions a specific gravity of 0.75 for gasoline. However, there is confusion about the use of magic numbers and the correct calculation for the pressure, which should also include the vapor pressure. Further information is needed, such as whether the column is open to the atmosphere and what is the desired pressure measurement.
JN Morris
I am requesting for another set of eyes to double check my work, I believe my answer is correct but I am not sure. I also do not understand why 0.75 is the specific gravity of gasoline in this equation when it actually can range from 0.71-0.77

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the pressure exerted on a 26-ft column filled with 13 ft. of gasoline. The vapor pressure of gasoline at 100°F is 12 psi.

Homework Equations

Height x 0.433 x specific gravity (according to the textbook) = pressure.

The Attempt at a Solution

26 ft. x 0.433 x 0.75 = 8.4435 psi + 12 psi = 20.4435 psi

Physics news on Phys.org
JN Morris said:
Height x 0.433 x specific gravity (according to the textbook) = pressure.

Ohhhhh... Magic numbers make my stomach hurt.

Presumably the 0.433 is a unit converter that tells you the pressure, in psi, of 1 foot of water. It seems about right. If that is what the text tells you, then so good so far. Except our arithmetic seems a bit wonky. Check your multiplication please.

The column is 26 feet, and you have used that number in your answer. But the column is 26 feet high, not the gas. What if there was only a tenth of an inch of gas in the column? What would the pressure be then?

For completeness, your equation should include the vapor pressure, since you included that later.

JN Morris said:
Calculate the pressure exerted on a 26-ft column filled with 13 ft. of gasoline. The vapor pressure of gasoline at 100°F is 12 psi.

Is the column open to the atmosphere? If not, anything other than gasoline vapor above the liquid level? Is it asking for the pressure at the bottom of the column (probably, but not stated)? As implied above, your answer is not correct.

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure exerted on a gasoline column?

The formula for calculating pressure exerted on a gasoline column is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the gasoline, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the column.

2. How do you determine the density of gasoline?

The density of gasoline varies depending on the type and temperature, but it is typically around 750 kg/m3. You can find the specific density of the gasoline you are working with by referring to its Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) or by using a density meter.

3. What units should be used when calculating pressure exerted on a gasoline column?

The units for pressure in this formula are typically in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m2). However, you can also use other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg), as long as the units for density and height are consistent.

4. What is the significance of calculating pressure exerted on a gasoline column?

Calculating pressure exerted on a gasoline column can help determine the amount of force that the column is exerting on its surroundings. This is important in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in the design of storage tanks and in understanding the behavior of gases.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with gasoline columns?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when working with gasoline columns. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, to avoid skin contact and eye irritation. Additionally, proper ventilation should be ensured to avoid the buildup of vapor. And as always, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations set forth by your institution or organization.