What Is the Hydrostatic Force on One End of a Tank Filled with Gasoline?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving finding the hydrostatic force on one end of a tank filled with gasoline. The conversation includes discussions on the appropriate equations to use, units of measurement, and the set up of the problem. One participant also asks for confirmation on their solution.
sushifan
1. Homework Statement
A large tank is designed with ends in the shape of the region between the curves y =(1/2)x^2 and y = 12, measured in feet. Find the hydrostatic force on one end of the tank if it is filled to a depth of 8 ft with gasoline. (Assume the gasoline's density is 42.0 lb/ft^3).

This is a section on applications.

2. Homework Equations

I'm not sure if this is precisely all I need.

Force F = ρgdA (g gravity, d depth, A area)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

(42.0)(9.8) ∫ sqrt(2y) (8-y) dy on [0,8]

823.2 ∫ 8 sqrt(2y) - ysqrt(2y) dy on [0,8]

823.2 [ 16sqrt(2)/3 y^(3/2) - 2sqrt(2)/5 y^(5/2)] on [0,8]

which evaluates to 56, 197.12 lb

Physics news on Phys.org

You're mixing metric with imperial if you use 9.8 for g.

gneill said:
You're mixing metric with imperial if you use 9.8 for g.

Oh, right! It's 32ft/sec^2, right?

sushifan said:
Oh, right! It's 32ft/sec^2, right?

32.174 ft/sec2 :smile:

gneill said:
32.174 ft/sec2 :smile:

Is there any way that you can tell me if my solution is in the right direction?

sushifan said:
Is there any way that you can tell me if my solution is in the right direction?

Sure. It looks like you've got the right idea for the integration, and the equation being integrated looks appropriate.

Hey gneill and sushifan.

Really good problem.

How did you guys get dA as xdy?

My diagram suggests something else.May be am making a mistake :-(

emailanmol said:
Hey gneill and sushifan.

Really good problem.How did you guys get dA as xdy?

I thought of my radius as x units as we traveled vertically on the y-axis, so I rewrote the given function in terms of y.

Could you share your set up of the problem? Maybe it's me who's making the mistake! I'm actually unsure of my solution.

emailanmol said:
Hey gneill and sushifan.

Really good problem.How did you guys get dA as xdy?

The contour is that of a parabola, y = (1/2)x2 . So for a given y (corresponding to some height up from the vertex), the half-width is ##\sqrt{2y}## . The area element dA is then the total width by the height, dy, thus forming a thin rectangular area element. The "2" in "2y" must have units "feet" associated with it in order to keep units consistent.

sushifan said:
I thought of my radius as x units as we traveled vertically on the y-axis, so I rewrote the given function in terms of y.
Could you share your set up of the problem? Maybe it's me who's making the mistake! I'm actually unsure of my solution.

Firstly, I would take pressure as Po (Atmospheric pressure)
+ phg as its not written to neglect the atmosphere. (Do this only if the answers not matching or not coming twice of what you got with the correct units).

Secondly, my area is coming exactly twice of what you got.(But it maybe wrong.Although I don't know why!)

gneill said:
The contour is that of a parabola, y = (1/2)x2 . So for a given y (corresponding to some height up from the vertex), the half-width is ##\sqrt{2y}## . The area element dA is then the total width by the height, dy, thus forming a thin rectangular area element. The "2" in "2y" must have units "feet" associated with it in order to keep units consistent.

So the area of the small rectangle should be
2*(2y)^1/2*dy .

Right?

And really good observation on the units gneill :-)

Last edited:

emailanmol said:
Secondly, my area is coming exactly twice of what you got.(But it maybe wrong.Although I don't know why!)

Ah, I have to take the integral twice to cover both sides of the parabola. That's what I forgot.

Does the answer match?

emailanmol said:
Does the answer match?

Well I'm not sure what numerical value you got for your answer. You said you got twice my answer; do you mean twice my answer (56, 197.12) from my very first post?

Because that answer was wrong, since I used 9.8 for gravity and not 32.

So, I'm redoing the entire calculation.

It would help if you actually provided your set up or at least your final answer so I can compare.

Last edited:

No i just got my expression twice as what you got in terms of variables.

I was asking if your answer matches with that of textbook ?

I will post my answer in few mins .Let me calculate :-)

emailanmol said:
I was asking if your answer matches with that of textbook ?

My textbook unfortunately does not come with an answer key. :[

And I'm doing my calculation right now, too.

See, i would refrain from posting the answer as its against the Guideline :-)

However,My expression is exactly double of your original post (with proper units of g offcourse)

emailanmol said:
See, i would refrain from posting the answer as its against the Guideline :-)

However,My expression is exactly double of your original post (with proper units of g offcourse)

Didn't know that. I'm new here.

And apologies for the late reply, I fell asleep.

sushifan said:
Didn't know that. I'm new here.

And apologies for the late reply, I fell asleep.

It's against the guidelines for those offering help to do the work for, or to simply give answers to the questioner. It's quite okay if the questioner does the work and comes to a correct answer :wink:

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the fluid.

3. What is the formula for calculating hydrostatic force?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic force is F = ρgh, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid.

4. What units are used to measure hydrostatic force?

The units used to measure hydrostatic force are typically pounds (lb) or newtons (N) in the English and metric systems, respectively.

5. How can I use the given information to find the hydrostatic force on one end of the tank?

To find the hydrostatic force on one end of the tank, simply plug in the values given for the height (8 ft) and density of the fluid into the formula F = ρgh. Remember to convert the height to the appropriate unit if necessary.