Calculating pressure within a system at a specific location?

In summary, when calculating the pressure at point C, the attempt at using the pressure at point B is incorrect because the pressure at point C is affected by the presence of air in the column above the water surface. This causes the pressure at C to be higher than at B, as the pressure at C is essentially the pressure at the water surface below it. In order to correctly calculate the pressure at C, the pressure at the water surface must be used instead of the pressure at point B.
russiansplash

Homework Statement

4X2qAHf.png

Solution:
iA4yWXv.png

Homework Equations

dp/dz = -ρh

Pressure varies linearly with the depth.

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly, I have calculated the pressure at point B.
PB = PA - (0.3m)*(1000kg/m^3)*(9.81m/s^2)
PB = 88057 Pa

Calculating the pressure at point C. However, my attempt is incorrect and I do not understand why I cannot use the pressure at point B to calculate the pressure at point C.

PC = PB - (0.6m)*(1.225kg/m^3)*(9.81m/s^2)
PC = 88049 Pa[/B]

I would appreciate any sort of assistance! Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 4X2qAHf.png
    4X2qAHf.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,298
  • iA4yWXv.png
    iA4yWXv.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 908
Physics news on Phys.org
I see two solutions, one called the "solution", and another called "The attempt at a solution". Is the first one a solution given to you, along with the problem, or is it a first attempt by you to get a solution?
Let us first state the principles: How did you translate the pressure from one column to the other? For example, in your calculation of pB, which is the same in both solutions, you used a principle, which allowed you to use the extra height of water in the middle column. What is that principle?

russiansplash said:
Calculating the pressure at point C. However, my attempt is incorrect and I do not understand why I cannot use the pressure at point B to calculate the pressure at point C.

PC = PB - (0.6m)*(1.225kg/m^3)*(9.81m/s^2)
PC = 88049 Pa

I would appreciate any sort of assistance! Thank you in advance.
You can indeed calculate the pressure at point C, given the pressure at point B. But you need to do it correctly. What was your rationale for writing the equation the way you did? From the diagram, do you expect the pressure at C to be higher than at B or lower than at B?

Chestermiller said:
You can indeed calculate the pressure at point C, given the pressure at point B. But you need to do it correctly. What was your rationale for writing the equation the way you did? From the diagram, do you expect the pressure at C to be higher than at B or lower than at B?
Thank you for the speedy response. The pressure at C should be lower as it is at a higher elevation. However, in the provided solution it quotes a value of pressure higher than that of point B. I am probably missing a point but I do not seem to understand how the pressure is higher at C.

Chandra Prayaga said:
I see two solutions, one called the "solution", and another called "The attempt at a solution". Is the first one a solution given to you, along with the problem, or is it a first attempt by you to get a solution?
Let us first state the principles: How did you translate the pressure from one column to the other? For example, in your calculation of pB, which is the same in both solutions, you used a principle, which allowed you to use the extra height of water in the middle column. What is that principle?
Sorry for not making it clear, the attached image is the solution to the problem and my attempt was a first attempt. Also, I translated the pressure from one column to the other because at the same elevations the pressure remains constant?

russiansplash said:
Thank you for the speedy response. The pressure at C should be lower as it is at a higher elevation. However, in the provided solution it quotes a value of pressure higher than that of point B. I am probably missing a point but I do not seem to understand how the pressure is higher at C.
The pressure at C is higher than at B because the column above the water surface is filled with (very low density) air. So the pressure at C is essentially the pressure at the water surface below C. Is that water surface above B or below B?

russiansplash said:
Sorry for not making it clear, the attached image is the solution to the problem and my attempt was a first attempt. Also, I translated the pressure from one column to the other because at the same elevations the pressure remains constant?
The pressure remains constant at a given elevation only if it is the same fluid.

Chestermiller said:
The pressure at C is higher than at B because the column above the water surface is filled with (very low density) air. So the pressure at C is essentially the pressure at the water surface below C. Is that water surface above B or below B?
Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by whether the water surface is above or below point B? I cannot get my head around this, could you perhaps provide more guidance? I'd really appreciate it.

russiansplash said:
Sorry, I do not understand what you mean by whether the water surface is above or below point B? I cannot get my head around this, could you perhaps provide more guidance? I'd really appreciate it.
Look in the right hand section where C is located. How far above the bottom of the tank is the water surface? How far above the bottom of the tank is the water surface located in the middle section, where point B is located? Is the water surface in the right hand section higher of lower than the water surface in the center section?

Related to Calculating pressure within a system at a specific location?

1. How is pressure defined?

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area applied on an object or within a system. It is often measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. What factors affect pressure within a system?

The pressure within a system is affected by factors such as the amount of gas or liquid present, the temperature, and the volume of the system. Additionally, external forces, such as gravity, can also impact pressure.

3. How is pressure calculated within a system?

Pressure can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. In a closed system, the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) can also be used to calculate pressure.

4. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure within a system, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is the difference between absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is often used to measure pressure changes within a system.

5. How does pressure vary at different locations within a system?

The pressure within a system can vary at different locations due to factors such as temperature, volume, and external forces. In general, pressure will decrease as distance from the source of pressure increases, but other factors can also play a role in pressure variation within a system.